Amazing accomplishment of light bulb sellers

It used to be difficult to sell a light bulb for more than $1. And those would last a while.
Nowadays, they can sell $35 light bulbs, that last only a year, and
that could even get your house hacked.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
This is an amazing accomplishment and something that any old time crook would be proud of.
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 14:21:29 -0500

You can bottle and sell water too ;-)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Selling pet rocks is more profitable.
Best Regards Tom.
http://www.avg.com

At least water costs $2.99 per big case... But I see your point!!!
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 15:29:40 -0400, Leon Fisk

Yeah. Evian (naive spelled backwards; coincidence?) goes for about $45/gal. Walmart sells bottled filtered City of Sacramento, CA water. Not even spring water!
--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.

meanwhile the suckers keep on buying
On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 00:05:41 -0400, Michael A Terrell

P.S: Stock a case of each of several canned meats, cases of canned veggies, and half a dozen cases of water for the next time. I you have propane, stock up on ramen. Half a can of veggies/meat and a ramen makes a hearty stewp for. I toss the MSG "flavor packet" and use bouillon, garlic, and pepper, mostly. It ain't a $15 gov't MRE, but it's not half bad.
--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
Larry Jaques wrote: >

I ate a lot of cold cans of chili, stew, vegetables and a few snacks that were on hand. There was no propane for the stove, but the nearest McDonalds had arranged for backup power, and had a fell reefer truck full of food in the parking lot so they stayed open with a limited menu. I had one hot meal each day, after leaving the Special Needs Hurricane Shelter. Three days and two nights were more than enough for me. The county had replaced their old folding beds with cheap camping cots that weren't wide enough for a teenager, let alone an old man. I couldn't get to my feet, without help. They had some better beds, but some some greedy jerks had demanded them and left those that needed one to do without.
I normally have 200 to 400 cans of food on hand at all times. I buy canned goods by the tray. I had bought 144 cans of soup a couple years ago. I've used about 2/3 of them.
On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 10:08:49 -0400, Michael A Terrell

Were people there easily volunteering to help you, I hope? I can't imagine having to hole up and try to sleep in a shelter after a storm, with people making noise 24/7. Glad you survived it, Mikey.

Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em. Pity. Wouldn't the PTBs do anything, or was it politicized there, too?

Good. Yeah, one has to cycle through them and restock as they do.
I take it that you're back at home and it's in fair shape?
--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Most of the disabled had brought a caretaker with them. There were some county health workers there, as well. Still, it was no fun needing to use the restroom, and having to make enough noise to wake someone else in the room to help me. I was in a classroom at the closest high school. They fed us, but it was what was on hand for the students. Nothing fit for a diabetic, and the portions were for kids, not adults.

They weren't on site. The county was trying to shelter residents, and people who had fled north, and got stranded. I-75 was closed often due to accidents, so the traffic was detoured to old state highways. That caused the local gas stations tro be out of fuel by the time they even opened local shelters.

What I've looked at is OK, but someone stole the battery out of my mower, and I can't see the backs of a couple roofs. I have tried several times to find a new battery, but I'm not going to pay $75 for a $20 lawnmower battery.
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 12:15:11 -0400, Michael A Terrell

I'd have snagged a pop bottle really quickly. Or drank my water and refilled the bottle. But that's only OK for #1.

Awshit.

The beds weren't onsite?!?

I'm glad you didn't lose all your tron tools/scopes and stuff.
Ebay is your friend. I got 5ah 12v (for my emer flashlights) for $16 delivered. Riding mower batteries are $20 on sale here at BiMart. Crapsman mower batteries are $31 delivered from an Ebay vendor. Also try Freecycle and Craigslist which might be sources for free cores if not usable batteries.
--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Kind of hard to do when I couldn't even sit up, on the crappy cot.

They were trucked to the school from a County warehouse by prisoners and the Sheriff's department.

The mower was in the driveway. I had just got it rrunning properly, and I had it covered with a tarp and weights.

Rural King is supposed to have both types of lawn tractor batteries in stock, but the shelf is always empty. The auto parts places want $40 for theirs, with only a 30 day warranty.
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 19:12:59 -0400, Michael A Terrell

Yeah, wake someone up first, if you didn't have a bottle of water. From then on, you would have, though.

So how did the nasty folks get them from those who actually needed them, and why, when prompted to reclaim them, didn't the overseers do so?

You're lucky the MOWER was still there after a HurriBlow. <g> I'm so glad I don't live down there. Except during a rumble, earthquakes are much more cordial.

Can't you call Rural King and have them order one for you? It should be here by the time you need to mow again.
--
Larry Jaques wrote: >

> [...]

The school has a pair of restrooms between each pair of classrooms, along with a pair of offices for the teachers. It looks more like a college campus than a high school. So, once I was able to stand, it only took a minute to get to a restroom. There was no privacy in the room, with about 30 cots in it. The desks had been stacked in one corner, and there was barely room to walk between the cots.

They got there ahead of me, and there was no one onsite with any authority other than to call the Sheriff or an ambulance.

The last one was in 2004.

They get them by the pallet. I just can't catch them in stock. They have over 1000 car truck and other lead acid batteries on their shelves. They just can't seem to keep what I need in stock. They did have new steel Ammo cans for $10.99.
The battery was taken just before the hurricane, the yard needed mowed two months ago. Now, some of the weeds are waist high and they have nasty burrs on them.
On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 3:21:37 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus17018 wrote:

Do you remember my posting about Walmart selling 8.5 watt led bulbs? I checked on the internet and they are now $1.34 each ( actually $5.54 for four ) . I said I would post when one fails. And I will, but none have failed so far.
Considering that they last longer , $1.34 each is not bad.
Dan
Dan

Our local 99 cent store has 5W led bulbs, been using them since march with no failures. Nice for a bathroom nitelite.
Best Regards Tom.
http://www.avg.com

A few years ago, I gave up on byuing Walmart lights because they kept failing on me.
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 21:50:14 -0500, Ignoramus17018

I had so many failures with Feit Electric CFLs, I won't ever buy another Feit product, even though they replaced them free of charge. Two died within the first month, the 3rd of 4 died within the year. I believe Feit sourced Walmart's bulbs for awhile, but I don't know who does now. I don't care if a bulb has a 10 day warranty if it lasts ten years, but I won't put up with those sporting 10 year warranties if I have to replace them numerous times every year. I already went through that with Searz Crapsman, giving them my gallon of blood and pound of flesh, literally.
Satco puts out good CFLs, and I still have several going for the better part of a decade. Since I found Chinese-sourced LEDs for a buck many years ago, while US-made LED bulbs were $30-60 each, I am working through a few dozen of those. 1 in 6 dies within a couple years, not the best history. Now that Philips puts out sub-$3 LED bulbs, I'm trying them, bought from Platt Electric here in town. 8w non-dimmable daylight = 60w replacement. Cost $0.96 per year to run. Good in the bathroom for shaving, plucking eyebrows, and doing makeup, right, Tawm?
A pair of 14w daylight LED spots in my front security lamp have been going for a few years now. At first, they were going on every minute like clockwork, and I discovered that a 47k 1/4w carbon film resistor between hot and not solved that. They would build up a charge from the caps in the 120v-12v bulb power supply and trigger the lamps.
--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
Ever done the math on the cost of the lamps vs. the cost of the electricity they use? I did years ago; I suggest you do so......
snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

LIGHTIFY/dp/B01HF2CMM4/

Right, we've gone from 60 W bulbs that were rated at 800 Hours, to CFLs that seemed to last several thousand hours (I've had some last 5 years, but much shorter in steamy bathrooms) to LEDs that will, hopefully, last even longer. Seems like progress to me. But, of course, the power consumption has REALLY gone down, which is great!
Jon