an idea for another way to deal with rust

Up here in the soggy Pacific NW, we don't have to shovel snow very often but we do have lots of problems with moss on our roofs. I was out spraying Moss-Out on my roof just now, which takes awhile, and it got me to wondering. That stuff is basically about as much zinc as they can dissolve into water without including anything too dangerous. And of course zinc in solution will reduce iron oxide to iron. So I'm thinking if I had something small and precision that had rusted I'd try just soaking the item in moss killer, might just make it shiny and clean .. if so, that would be another trick.

Let's see, our bag of tricks include:

sandblasting power wire brushing pneumatic needle gun naval jelly vinegar and salt various acid soaks followed by neutralizing basic soak followed by hot water electrolytic derusting soaking in strong solution of molasses soaking in solution of zinc in lye and, maybe, soaking in moss killer

did I forget any?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Moving to Arizona?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

You only mentioned power wire brushing once. Go to your room!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Reply to
JR North

Become one with the moss...

Reply to
daniel peterman

May the Moss be with you.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 12:15:31 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Aummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Wasn't Mosses the guy who presented the 15, oops, 10 Commandments a long, long time ago in a place far, far away?

Gimme a Kate Moss any day.

-------------------------------------------- Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Lastest horror flick from the NW..

Children of the Moss

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Remember the Robeto Duran Sugar Ray Leonard fights back in the early '80s?

NO MOSS .. NO MAS .. NO MOSS !!!

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this is what happens: Gunner Asch writes on Sun, 11 Dec

2005 22:45:09 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Moss Isley; never will you find a more wretched hive of scum ...

Hmmm, so could this be the real secret behind the success of the Mossberg shotguns?

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Portland rock band...

Moss Zepplin

Gunner

"those societies which accept shoddiness in their philosophers because it is considered an exalted activity, and tolerates shoddiness from their plumbers because it is considered a humble activity, is in trouble. Neither it's pipes nor it's theories will hold water."

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Product called Evaporust. Works like Electrolytic with no electricity, no mess. Retail about $15 - $18/gallon if you can find it. Reusable until you can't stand it. Doesn't harm paint or plating, except really old, cheap paint. Septic safe when done.

If you have something valuable or precision that is rusted, this is THE best solution (no pun intended. really) I have some machine jack spacers (I think that's what they are) that will get dunked next time I'm at the shop.

No finacial interest, just a satisfied user who gave away my last sample

15 minutes ago and is trying to get my employer to stock it.

Rex B

Reply to
Rex B