Announce - Open Source CNC website

I would suggest that all core choices be supported on all three major platforms, Windows, MacOS, and Linux/UNIX. This rule ensures wide support, and pretty much precludes proprietary lock-in.

In the Windows worlds, it's pretty easy to accidentally become windows-dependent, and be trapped in the Windows Upgrade Treadmill. Requiring demonstrated support for at least one of the the other two platforms prevents accidental addiction. ActiveX controls are a particular danger.

Avoiding the treadmill is another big reason to stick with plain old ISO C.

I agree. If I register, then more junk mail is likely. As if we don't already get enough junk mail.

[snip]

Works on MacOS too.

Aside from problems with proprietary lock-in, there is the problem with formats becoming obsolete and becoming orphans, so the core formats should be both open and widely used for decades, with a large enough user base to ensure perpetual support, whatever the fortunes of the current supporting entities.

Although pdf is proprietary, it is documented. Adobe publishes the full file format in a widely available book, allowing widespread 3rd-party support. So, documents prepared using even Word and then converted to pdf will be understandable forever, even if both MS and Adobe were to vanish. The problem occurs when one wants to update the original document, although there are tools to go from PDF to MS Word.

The problem is that plain ASCII doesn't do drawings very well, so someone's drawing package will be needed.

Nor does ascii do justice to mathematical equations. Internet RFCs are all plain ascii, except for RFC-1305 (NTPv3). The reason that 1305 was given an exemption was that there was no way to render the equations in ascii.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

No way, no how, no chance.

I BLOODY HATE sites that force you to register, THEN use the mere posession of your email address as implied permission to send you crap promo emails every week.

There is NO WAY IN HELL

is going to mail anyone, except in the following specific circumstances.

1/ you ELECT to be notified by email if a thread of the forums you're watching has a follow up.

2/ you ELECT to sign up for the newsletter as/when/if it is implemented

3/ the admins think there is a REALLY good reason to notify all users of something, off hand, since the site doesn't do e-commerce and so cannot be holding anything like credit card or social security numbers, I can't think of a single reason that qualifies.

For the record, I was a long time subscriber to NANAE and NANAU, ran my own servers etc, was involved in the anti spam game, and can guarantee the only mail anyone is going to get is mail they want, proper genuine requested mails, no spammer lies / doublespeak about opt-in, double optin etc

hope this clears that point up, if it doesn't, ask away, no secrets here.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

While it may exist somewhere, it's not ubiquitous enough to be useful any longer.

That's not at all the way I recall. gzip was better than compress on Ultrix, I believe, by a noticeable percentage.

It's all moot, IMHO. Neither compact or compress exist on nearly as many systems as gzip. Game, set, match. Many sites also provide bzip2 compressed files for download alongside gzip files because for large files, bzip2 can be a good bit smaller, which can be important to overall download times. But it's not ubiquitous enough to be the only way you provide something, either.

--Donnie

Reply to
Donnie Barnes

And in the open source world it's not enough to be able to understand the document forever, it's a requirement to be able to *edit* it forever. That's why the system generating the document needs to be open source as well. It's fine to generate PDF and HTML and whatever formats you want from that, but it needs to be editable for all time, too.

--Donnie

Reply to
Donnie Barnes

According to Cliff :

Hmm ... pretty old program, if the man page is still concerned about filesystems which limit filenames to 14 characters (the old filesystem which came with v7 unix, and early SysV variants as well.

I'm somewhat frustrated by the HP-UX (or the web page format) eliminating the "Last change: 9 Sep 1999" entry at the bottom of each page, which might make it easier to judge just how old compact(1) happens to be. That one was from Solaris 10. Solaris 2.6 shows: "Last change: 20 Dec 1996" Falling back to SunOs 4.1.4, I get: "Last change: 9 September 1987" and OpenBSD shows it as: "April 18, 1994". Of course, those dates apply to the last change of the man page, not the program, but at least some of the changes of the man page are to reflect changes in the program.

I've seen gzip(1) usually giving a significant improvement over compress(1) on most file types -- at least on SunOs and Solaris (even on the Sun-3 (68020) machines).

DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to Joseph Gwinn :

[ ... ]

One of the entry points for viruses. And *certainly* not supported on other OSs -- thank goodness. :-)

Agreed.

[ ... ]

Of course, the current MacOS (OS-X) is layered on top of a unix kernel, so you should be able to pick up the unix utilities which don't happen to have been included and compile them with no serious problems, as long as you don't mind working at the command-line level.

[ ... ]

Agreed! And ones which are open source means that you can keep them alive long after they have been abandoned by others, should it become necessary.

Which is why ghostscript's companion shell script ps2pdf(1) was possible. No reverse engineering needed.

And -- there is xpdf(1) (for unix systems running X11), also open source. I tend to use it by preference to Adobe Acrobat reader.

Agreed. Note that programs like xfig(1) (again open source) can generate the input to troff/groff source files to print drawings (using the pic macro sets). And, they can print to PostScript, which can then be translated to pdf by ps2pdf(1) from ghostscript.

Note that the eqn macro set for troff/groff can do a very nice job of typesetting math, which (as above) can be converted to PostSCript, and from there to PDF.

And -- ghostscript(1) is open source (from GNU), so again it is possible to maintain if needed. We are not at the mercy of a single OS continuing to operate.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to Guy Fawkes :

You would be amazed at the number of delivery attempts I block on the basis of originating IP address. (And for the past couple of weeks, there seems to be a new spaming (or is it virus) package out there which doesn't take refusal to allow a connection as meaning that they should stop. one of them tried 3570 times between

"Dec 30 03:37:48" and "Dec 30 06:56:31"

before I set a static route to the loopback address to keep my logfiles from getting too large for their directory. That is 3 hours 19 minutes approximately, or 1078 attempts per hour. And this was only the largest number of attempts that are still in the last maillog.

I wrote some scripts to make it easy to extract every one which tried over 100 times in a short period, and then started adding them to the static routing as well. That kept things under control.

The reason I suspect a virus is that it all went quiet yesterday, though I'm not sure in which time zone it happened. But sudden worldwide switch-off behavior is very virus-like.

The problem is that this is the expectation when you have to register for a site.

As one who knows NANAE and NANAU (usenet newsgroups dedicated to fighting spam in e-mail and usnet), this makes *me* feel a bit better. But I *still* won't be registering at your site until I feel a personal need to post there.

I also ran my own usenet server -- until my ISP dropped all support for usenet -- after which I switched ISPs. The new one is

*supposed* to offer a (partial) feed, but nobody there knows who I talk to to set it up. :-( And -- their own news server drops my postings about every third posting. I have to watch for the notice that it went to ~/dead.article, and jump through hoops to read it back in and re-post it. I never had this problem with my own server, and not even with newsguy either -- though articles tended to expire a lot too quickly for my taste.

This makes me feel better. But there is still the problem of what happens if someone is able to breach security on your web site. I'm running my web site on an OpenBSD box (which runs the web server in a chroot jail) and still don't trust it to hold anything truly sensitive.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to Guy Fawkes :

Yep -- that is one which I have already. I find it installed on the OpenBSD systems, but not on Solaris at the moment, for whatever reason.

Hmm ... it has gone to having only a demo version downloadable now, and I don't think that I want to know what they will charge for the Solaris version. :-)

The ones which I would want are still listed as "not yet" for source availability. :-(

Thanks anyway, DoN.

[...]

How about the Unix to Dos and Dos to Unix utilities!

UUENCode.exe - Wtar.exe Unix2Dos.exe Dos2unix.exe Hex40bin.exe

I have an archive of them. Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

D> According to Cliff :

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The problem of this kind of solution is that it can be pretty fiddly, and may require far too much computer knowledge, more than one should expect of the average metalworker.

Yes, but then troff and groff are being replaced by Latex, and all of these have their own learning curves.

At least with latex there is a open version, plus a commercial offering that is reputed to be very good. Don't know if it runs under MacOs without resort to the BSD underpinnings.

Yes. Actually, pdf is the natural display language of MacOS 10 and later.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

aye, nothing is 100% immune...

1/ that's why I decided to dost it on a "reseller" server with a pretty reputable bunch who know their onions, I could have made it marginally more secure myself but only by choosing between the expense of a dedicated colo or the inconvenience of restricted bandwidth.

2/ that's why I'm looking for two admins with enough savvy to spot potential problems as well as the ability to do periodic mysql dumps etc

3/ that's why it's based on a fiarly good open source CMS, namely e107

4/ _if_ someone is able to breach security it is a lot of effort, because everything worthwhile is open source anyway and freely available, the people who use open source are likely to be able to make things sticky for any wannabe cracker, and most of all it's a hell of a lot of offort to get a bunch of email addresses from people who are likely to be running their own domains anyway and quite able to create one off throwaway email addresses.

99.999% of the security comes from the rather obvious fact that there is an inexhaustible supply of far more juicy targets out there in just as easy reach.
Reply to
Guy Fawkes

This doesn't matter then for the purposes of what we're talking about distributing since you wouldn't be able to install/build *that*, either.

--Donnie

Reply to
Donnie Barnes

According to Martin H. Eastburn :

Those are obviously the ones to run on DOS. The unix ones have the same names (all lower case), without the ".exe" -- except for the hex40bin one, which I think is for dealing with older Mac archives. And you left out uudecode(1). (For those who don't know -- the "(1)" at the end of the program names is a clue that they are in section one of the unix man pages -- therefore they are commands. And -- it is not typed when typing the command name to execute it. "(2)" is for system calls in c, "(3)" is library functions in c. Various other meanings for the other digits, which may vary from unix flavor to unix flavor.

All of the named programs come with most flavors of unix, except the "hex40bin" one listed above.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Sticking with this thread.

Found an excellent source of CNC hardware, ball screws, linear products, you name it, so done a quick article about them on the site at

This guy is Boeing certified, Open Source friendly, and only recently set up himself after the company he used to work for outsourced production from the Uk to the Far East.

There's a moral in there somewhere, if I could only work out what it was.

cheers

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

"tanks" Don -

IIRC, I got those many moon ago when Schlumberger was funding some development of these and modem utilities. 1980 - 85 ish. I did have that 3 ring binder - but it likely got mildew and dumped. Rats. took a quick scan - and my little IT book is not to be found. Such is life. At the time, IBM email was really different than many of us on other nets - they changed externally - not sure internally due to the software design. Kinda fun days in the early net - customers coming alive in more ways than one!

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

D> According to Martin H. Eastburn :

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

If it's free, I'll take three?.

The snow is back.

I am about to begin updating a program I wrote several years ago that converted a v.11 AutoCAD ADI plotter file to G/M codes for a EMCO F1 educational machining center, but ==> before I do this I want to find out how much interest there is.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Yes.

Doesn't really matter.

Let's face the facts: Both DOS and Freddy Mercury are dead and it's time to get over it. Windows are the way to go - just ask BD. ;) (besides, XP has an issue with DOS programs, IIRC)

I *could* live with inch output and multiply the input with 25, but why= not make it a user choice in the program? =20

No need here, as our mill has an option for rotary axis swapping.

Text engraving, frames, logos. The (DOS) program I'm using at the = moment has only one font, and is a PITA to work with.

From what I've seen of pen plotters and their seemingly random choice = of path, I'm not sure I would trust their code for pocketing or conturing.=20

--=20 Regards, J. Nielsen

Reply to
J. Nielsen

yes, in huge bold text

you said open source, so both really innit...

platform independent like C would be best, failing that something that could easily be recompiled into C, so lots of informative REM statements

see above

if the dll's are available if required linux users can always run it under emulation.

honestly, it shoukd emuate g code and allow metric and imperial in the same output

yes, radius compensation too for rotary table on mill stuff

code library of gcode "objects" waiting to be made >;^)

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

============= ref item 2 -- cut-n-paste option would have only the actual g0/g1 moves. header of program to turn on spindle CW, set absolute, etc, and footer turning everything off would be written by the user, who then uses an editor to insert the generated code into the complete program. From some emails I have received I think i will do it this way as you can do a zero offset to position the text/artwork just where you want it.

As several people have pointed out it is trivial to allow selection of either inch or m/m output, so will include that.

I will get the "flat" version up and running and then try for the cylinder model.

Uncle George

Reply to
F. George McDuffee