anvil question

Ignoramus16228 kirjoitti:

How about tying leather/rope around the anvil waist ? Tarred rope sounds like perfect vibration killer.

Why haven't I read anyone tried those ? Is so that old smiths "get used" to the ring = hearing weakens.

Reply to
Uljas Vauhti

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 09:02:54 GMT, the infamous Uljas Vauhti scrawled the following:

When I wrenched for a body shop (in another life) we used to have a

6x6" patch with sticky backing for use in deadening door panels. I'll bet they're still available. The adhesive on the back was thick, maybe 1/4", and very pliable. I'm guessing that's what absorbed the ring in the sheetmetal. If you can't find those, I'll bet the cheap sticky traps for mice could work. The adhesive is similar, and it would ensure that your anvil wasn't infested with a mouse colony.

That's highly probable.

-- We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. -- Albert Einstein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you have a real news provider, go to alt.crafts.blacksmithing

For the ring, while there are several common options, the most generally accepted and least fuss is a sheet of lead under the anvil.

Others include wrapping it with chain, putting a large magnet at some point on the underside (finding the right point being part of that process) etc.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

We generally referred to those sticky patches as Sound Pads. I know 3M and others were producing them for the autobody repair and industrial maintenance/repair industries.

Sound pads were good for deadening sound penetration, and also dampening the resonant aspect of a span of sheetmetal. This would have a dampening effect similar to wrapping the rubber strap around a brake drum when cutting it on a brake lathe, to keep it from ringing.

Reply to
Wild_Bill