Any difference?

I need a piece of 5/8" rod for a center pin for a boat roller about 12" long. Will there be any difference in cold versus hot rolled for this app? Very very little roller movement over the period of time. Think I may just tack a washer on each end, and keep it simple. Or should I drill and put a cotter key, at least on one end so it can be removable if needed?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

What is the weight of the boat? And length of the roller?

Assuming that it is just a fishing boat and the roller is under 10 inches, I would think that any rod you can find would hold up just fine.

Ignoramus11030

The hot rolled will likely be much less dimensionally correct than the cold rolled. Plan on it being under sized, over sized, egg shaped, lousy surface finish, etc. For a boat roller it may not make any difference but if the roller has a steel bushing the hot rolled might not fit without a bit of touch up on the grinder.

I'd weld a washer > I need a piece of 5/8" rod for a center pin for a boat roller about 12"

Reply to
RoyJ

Either will work. I think they use Pal nuts on a lot of the roller setups. I would prefer a stainless or galvanized rod as the water will stay inside on the rod for a while.Get a long 5/8 galvanized bolt.

Reply to
Bill McKee

If you apply marine grease (Pennzoil, not the biodegradable water based crap), it should last forever. Strength obviously far exceeds the need.

Even with daily use, it will take decades to begin to wear.

Ignoramus11030

16' Lund Alum with interior. Not heavy. Roller about a foot long. Just wondering about rusting or one wearing more than the other.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Hmmmm. Didn't think of that. Wonder if I can find twelve to fourteen incher.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If its just a bump roller and your boat rests on bunks I wouldn't worry about it. Just get it on there.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Just asking ahead. I hate to do things twice, especially when it involves jacking up the boat to do it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I got some 5/8" dia stainless rod to make roller pins for my 16' Alumacraft Lunker SS. They made a definite difference over the rusty bolts they replaced on that Spartan trailer. I smeared some green marine grease on them and then assembled with the urethane rollers. That was about circa 1985. My son still has them in service and they're still working well.

Reply to
Don Foreman

1/2" is easy. Get an anchor for concrete.
Reply to
CalifBill

I decided not to use rollers on my trailer. The keel sits on 2*12s laid on top of the steel cross members.

The problem is the angular difference between the boat and the trailer when they first meet up.

Visualize the trailer sunk to the ramp, and the boat approaching level.

With rollers, the entire 5500 pounds is taken on the first roller. That's going to bend no matter how big the axle is...

But maybe your boat is lighter?

:)

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but it's two doors down. It is hard to get materials around here. If I was still in Vegas, this wouldn't be a thread. Some SS sure would be nice.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

From what I've seen, the weight in your keel outweighs my entire boat. I have decided to take it to the lake and see just how it behaves during launch and recovery. I have bunks lengthwise in the back. The front sits on two Veed rollers, but they are at the wrong angle for this boat, and only touch a little. Then there's the bow receiving roller that doesn't support any weight. I want to cut off the two misaligned rollers, and put them right. Then add the center keel 12" long slight vee right on the keel about

18" back from where the bow curve straightens. Recovering the boat is easy, as it has side guides, but they need extending, as they are too short to keep it straight on to the bow receiver. I think I will just put one post roller in the front on each side.

But first thing is going to be another launch and recovery to see how it does. Of course, I'll pick up a few rainbows while I'm there. There's one big flat roller at the center back that I don't even think hits the keel during launch, recovery, or storage. This trailer was either for another boat, or cobbed together from parts from different trailers. It's really a piece of junk, but for this little boat, it's gonna have to do for now anyway. Will take some pics during the project.

Lund 16 Sea Nymph open Aluminum, 40 hp 4 cyl Merc. Bench storage seat, steering console, captain seat. Pretty simple. But lots of flat decked carpeted floor space making it roomy enough for four to fish comfortably. It was only $1500, and I have only spent less than $100 on it on an anchor, ropes, and whatnot. Runs like a striped ass ape once I got the hoses fixed to the carbs.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"CalifBill" wrote

Got a nearly new plastic coated metal mushroom for $2 at a yard sale. Plus, it came with one already.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Nope, I mean the anchor bolts that go in concrete foundations to bolt the mud sill to the foundation. They are normally 1/2" but may be a little bigger in the non threaded part. Normally 18" long.

Not recommending the company, was just the first one I saw with an image.

Reply to
Bill McKee

Just make sure that when you tighten the strap of winch cable that the front of the boat is not being stressed at the front of the bunks. I extended the bunks on my 14' boat as the front roller collapsed and the bottom cracked where it stressed at the front of the bunk. Do not use pressure treated for bunks on an alumium boat as the copper and aluminum create a battery.

Reply to
Bill McKee

That sounds pretty reasonable, Steve.

It's strange how you can stare at something for hours and not see what jumps out at you from a photograph.

Reply to
cavelamb

I was just given a Chrysler 15' trihull boat. All there except for the outboard. Paint is a bit ugly...but the bow mounted trolling motor...etc etc all seem to be ok. Ill try to bring it home next week if I go south.

I think..think..its a Commando 151

Any suggestions for getting a cheap outboard in California?

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I can hardly wait for the fabulous tales that will come from this acquisition. What's it gonna' be first, paddling it over Niagara Falls, or 12-volting it around Cape Horn?

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE