Any info on a Martin lathe? (German)

I'm shopping for a used lathe, and came across a place who has a old (60's era) German machine called a Martin (sp?). Anyone have any info (good or bad) about these machines? I cant seem to find any info online, was trying to get some background before I went to see it in person this afternoon.

Thanks for any info

Reply to
Greg Deputy

"Greg Deputy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I've ran a bunch of different German lathes, I have yet to run up on a bad one. Even those that have been well 'Used' (read-abused) are still good machines.

Reply to
Anthony

Thanks for the info. I went and saw the machine today, decided to purchase it. Its 72" between centers, 18" swing, 12" and 16" chucks. Its got some wear on the ways, but not terrible. For a hobbiest like myself, it'll do. And at less than $4000, hard to beat! Cant wait to get that sucker home.....

Reply to
Greg Deputy

Whats the max RPM? A lot of them are simply too slow to turn small stuff.

$4k at the right place can get you a hell of a lathe. Particularly in So. California. $4k will get you a Harrison 15" with tooling.....

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
Waynemak

It does 30 - 1400 rpm. I'm in the tacoma area, was looking for a month or so before I came across this. Still going to have to drop another $1k or so to get it moved, get a phase converter, and get a 240v circuit added to the garage, but I still think I did well.

Reply to
Greg Deputy