Anyone seen this Rivett on E-Bay?

Any comments? Anyone have one? Is it overpriced?

Brad

Reply to
James B. Millard

That guy has been re-listing that lathe about once a month for several months now and no ones biting so it looks like he's overpricing it.

Actually I'm not sure if he's really trying to sell it or just likes showing it off. One time he had a bizarre listing where the lathe was featured with a salad (that's right, a garden salad) display.

Its a nice looking machine, I'd like to have one someday, but that will probably have to be in my next lifetime.

Paul T.

Reply to
Paul T.

Reply to
Machineman

I would be worried about the condition of the machine. It has a nice paint job, but the spindle nose and the compound condition do *not* match.

Somebody's prettied up the compound by surface grinding it (I think that's what those linear striations are) whereas the spindle nose almost seems to have some serious staining, bordering on pitting.

Jim

jim rozen

Someone has done a marvelous restoration job on it. It was disassembled then repainted. Ways look good. Clutches look good.

Cant tell if its a pretty piece of shit or not. But based on the tenderloving care used in getting it to this condition..Id have to hazard the guess that the restorer went the whole way.

Its worth exactly what you are willing to pay for it. Based on the prices of its equivelent the Monarch 10EE..id have to say its a fair deal. I think a factory restored 10EE is going for $80k thereabouts.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

As everyone knows (or at least should know by now), I'm dead against rusty machines. A machine of this caliber that has been rusted, and this one surely appears to have some on it, has given up at least a small part of that which makes fine machine tools fine machine tools. Condition is everything where precision is concerned.

Please keep in mind that the part about that machine that makes it look so good plays absolutely NO ROLE in how well it operates. Paint jobs on machines are to pacify those that like shiny objects but may not understand that cosmetics play no role in performance. A nicely painted car can still have a bad engine and trans, if you get my drift. I'd suggest to you that the machine, considering what I can see by casual observation, is priced well above market value unless it checks out much better than the appearance of the ways and other mechanical surfaces.

Would I like to own it? Absolutely! But not unless it was priced well under his opening offer, and it included a reasonable compliment of accessories, chucks, faceplates, etc. The cost of those items can render an otherwise decent purchase unreasonable. Shipping on that lathe could prove very costly, too. It's packaged weight could approach 2 tons. I've seen EE Monarch's sell for a couple thou less, and nice machines. The Rivett is reputed to be the equal of an EE, although I have never operated a Rivett so I have no basis of comparison.

Make your decision carefully if you're interested in the machine. Don't let your emotions run away with you unless money is no object.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:27:54 GMT, Gunner shouted from the rooftop:

Look again- there's a lot of of overspray _and_ some areas that aren't well painted. There is plenty of evidence that the machine was pretty rusted at one point

No way would I put down that kind of money without running a test bar on it.

Some of his other auctons raised some red flags.

-Carl "An honest man doesn't need a long memory"- Jesse Ventura

Reply to
Carl Byrns

I don't mind paying rusty tool prices for rusty tools.

But the thing that worried me the most was the pristine condition compound slide surfaces. Almost as though they had been surface ground.

Jim

jim rozen

I think a factory restored 10EE is going for $80k thereabouts.

They're down to $18,000 ... not $80,000.

$80,000 gets you a completely new machine.

Of course a Monach factory remanufactured machine is equal to new in every respect. Has a new drive, too.

Reply to
Peter H.

Thanks -- I wasn't planning on bidding on it -- just figured I could learn something from the "critique". For me it's too big and the price worries me a bit.

Thanks!

Brad

Reply to
James B. Millard

I dunno, but it's beautiful. 3900 lbs. Wow. Shipping would be more than I paid for my lathes. It would be nice to have a 10EE grade lathe, if this is one, in my shop though. Something I would be happy to turn on for years to come. I know an old man who has a 10EE lathe which had the electricals screwed up in a flood. Cost him $6000 to get them fixed. His lathe is a family member. And, I suspect, he couln't find anyone truly competent to work on a thyratron motor speed control. $6000 sounds like a LOT of trial and error with expensive parts.

brownnsharp

Reply to
brownnsharp

He lists a lot of stuff that doesn't sell

I don't know if he is just hoping to sell one now and then for the high price or trying for offers at more reasonable prices off ebay and not paying the commission on the sale

Gordon Couger