Cheap welding machine on Ebay

I saw this really cheap welding machine on Ebay, it's good enough to do smoe simple work?

100 AMP ARC WELDER WELDING MACHINE WITH FACE SHIELD Starting bid: US $59.99
Reply to
googleCEO

Do you recall the Ebay auction number?

Larry

'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'

Reply to
Larry

I R A Weldor 2

Why not get this one from (GAAK!) Harbor Freight

The one you are looking at is $70 plus mandatory $25 shipping which is $15 more the the HF unit. Not that I am all happy with HF but at least you have some place with a warranty, some hope of parts, etc.

The first big problem with either of these is the duty cycle is pitiful. The ebay one does not list any duty cycle, you can be assured it is the same as the HF unit. A 15 % duty cycle can be restated to be "burn one rod, wait 10 minutes" A 6% duty cycle is "burn half a rod, wait 10 minutes" Your ebay unit doesn't even provide specs.

The other problem is a bit more sneaky: the open circuit voltage is so low that it is hard to start and maintain an arc. An experienced weldor can deal with this, a newbie will just stick chewing gum glops on the metal.

The face shield is a pain to use. You commonly want one hand to brace yourself or the work, not hold the shield. HF has cheap but useable regular helmets.

My advice > I saw this really cheap welding machine on Ebay, it's good enough to

Reply to
RoyJ

For around $100, you can often find a Lincoln 225, or similar used machine, with a real duty cycle, real hardware and have a machine you can actually do some work with.

Gunner

"By calling attention to 'a well regulated militia', the 'security' of the nation, and the right of each citizen 'to keep and bear arms', our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny which gave rise to the Second Amendment will ever be a major danger to our nation, the Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason, I believe the Second Amendment will always be important." -- Senator John F. Kennedy, (D) 1960

Reply to
Gunner

I'd not argue with getting a decent starter machine like the 225 Tombstone Lincoln. These are great machines for the newbie.

But the availabilty of cheap used machines is way over rated. I bought a banged up 225 Airco unit for $5, cost me $65 for all the parts, cables, and helmet to finish it out. Works great but sure was not the ticket for a newbie. I rarely see a used one, let alone one at a 'cheap' price. My local farm store sells teh 225 amp AC Lincoln for about $240 new, a good way to go.

And then you have to deal with the 240 power requirement in the garage, often in a rented place.