Arc Welding: Inverter vs Transformer

I think the Chinese will soon totally dominate the welding business because their inverters really seem to have lots of advantages over transformers. Even Miller's "affordable" inverter welders are made in China.

See for yourself how good these inverter based welders are getting. Note the longer duty cycle. He started with a Hobart Handler, which doesn't have the duty cycle that the Chinese inverter does:

jon_banquer

Seems like inverters have trouble taking current surges, so there's a load bearing problem. (aluminum or not)

Reply to
Transition Zone

Well, I got a pretty good deal some years ago on a Lincoln Square Wave TIG 300. It can do stick, but I HATE the smell and the fumes mess up my nose and sinuses. So, I have pretty much sworn off ever doing stick again, but still have the cable and handle if I need to. This welder can do something like 250 A continuously for hours. It is a transformer machine with some SCRs and electronic control. So, I am not complaining, although it is quite a bit bigger than an inverter machine. I have done steel, aluminum and copper with it, and the only limitation is MY skill, not the welder's.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Stick welding has its place and more than likely always will. Tig is handy for small stuff...but when it comes to rough welding or big iron welding..it still has a very definate home. Mig comes closest..but you need big wire and a big machine to come anywhere close to matching stick.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Also mig and tig is not suited for under water welding.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic