Auto lifts

I'm going to be installing a 2 post asymetrical clear floor auto lift in my
upcoming new workshop. Does anyone have pros or cons about any particular
brand? I've noticed that EVERY TV show I've seen has Bend Pak lifts. Are
they that much better, or just a TV thing? My neighbor has a Rotary and it
seems OK, but I'd like more input.
RJ
Reply to
Backlash
Generally speaking a rotary is good with the challenger about the same. I think you will just have to look around at your local shops to see what's available in your area. Some you can by direct and others have to be purchased through a distribution network. I know that the Rotary is now a direct buy item so they have made themselves more available for home shops. DF
Reply to
gundoc
I just installed a Western Lift 9000# asymmetric clear floor lift in my newly built garage/shop. When I was looking at lifts, I didn't see much difference among the few I looked at. Price was a consideration, and at $1700 the Western caught my eye. After installing it last month, I've used it 3 times to lift my 86 Lincoln Mark VII for an oil change and then for subsequent inspections. I lifted my '92 Grand Marquis as many as 4 times to inspect for a troublesome oil leak. Sure beats crawling under the car. Since this is the first lift I ever used, I can't tell if there are better choices, but many offered are a lot more expensive.
It took me several days to install the lift by myself. The posts come in two pieces for easier shipping and the whole thing weighed 1800#. The heaviest individual parts are the lower 9 foot long posts which also contain the carrier for the arms. I estimate that they weighed about 700# each. I used a small shop crane to help with the heavy lifting. Stan K.
Reply to
Stan Kasperski
It gets better than that... Auto junkyard nearby, welding and machine shop a mile away, building supply 1.5 miles, vinyl siding installer 3 blocks, concrete plant 2 miles, sand mine 1/2 mile, automotive machine shop 2 miles, custom countertop fabricator 4 blocks, industrial salvage companies, 2 miles and 6 miles, earth excavation service, 1 mile, tractor dealer, 2 miles, upholstery shop, 2.5 miles, body shop, 5 miles, grocery store, auto repair, mini storage, resturants, banks, gas stations, tire service, hunting and fishing speciality shop, car wash, college, propane gas company, carpet outlet, Ace hardware, marine repair, garden center, concrete products manufacturer, 2.5 miles. There are at least 9 backyard shops inside a 1 mile radius of my house, and just about every farmer around here has just about a self-sufficient repair/maintenance shop on the farm. I'd make a conservative guess that there's at least 40 workshops of a minimum of 24X24 in a 5 mile radius. I live the 2.5 miles from the edge of town, behind a subdivision, down 1100 feet of paved semi-private drive, 1.5 acres, on the back of a farm, in the middle of a Civil War battleground. Make all the noise I want. Mail delivery drives up to me in the yard and hands us our mail if she sees us outside. It gives me convenience to facilities and privacy of such that I could walk outside and take a leak in the middle of the yard in broad daylight, and have total privacy. Deer, squirrels, rabbits run through my yard. Kids can draw with chalk on the drive in the sunshine. Steep paved hill for skateboards and bikes. Creek with train trestle in sight of the house. Fishing pond 500 feet away. Cotton and tobacco on two sides. For my hobbies and interests, it's damn hard to beat.
RJ
Reply to
Backlash
I have been very happy with my Bend Pak. Quality is good, but plain. Lots of steel, well engineered, and easy to assemble. I use it on cars, pickups, and my parent's minivan and it has yet to complain.
Al
Reply to
Alan Raisanen
I did much research before buying mine- an Eagle 9K. Very happy with the quality.
Dweller in the cellar
Backlash wrote:
Reply to
JR North
RJ, I have a 9000 lb. capacity Bendpak similar this one:
bought it a couple years ago and am very happy with it. I have no affiliation with autolifts.com other than being a satisfied customer. Jim
Reply to
Jim & Hils
I've used Rotary, Challenger, Bend Pak, Hunter, and old air over hydraulic lifts. I liked Rotary's 2 post the best. The Bend Pak was ok though. I felt like the Rotary was a notch better in perceived quality. I think the paint is better on the Rotary. I was using a 4-post Bend Pak and spilled some brake fluid on it and the "grit" and paint on the ramps started to come off. (But that could happen to any of them, I guess)
__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4
Reply to
Barry S.
Although not in the same class as the lift you're talking about, I've seen the roll around pneumatic car lifts go for about $250 at two local auctions recently.
Reply to
ATP
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:04:52 -0500, "Backlash" brought forth from the murky depths:
Why asymmetrical? And why not build your own? ;) Tried *b*y yet?
Memories!
Back in the mid 80's, I ran a Hunter A-111 4-wheel alignment machine with a 2-post symmetrical lift with center rollover. I hated the center bump, so going clear-floor is much better.
I have no idea what is out there today, but I'm sure it's far better than I had way back when.
is $1,799, BendPak $2,389, Stallion $2,795, etc. Meco gives no prices but cautions against Korean/Chinese imports sold as American-built(?).
Check with local dealerships and auto shops to see what they use and what brands their mechanics like and dislike.
---------------------------------------------------------------- * Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online * laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev. * shall never cease to be amused *
Larry Jaques
Larry, I guess this workshop and all that will be in it are a bit of self-indulgence, so no used lift. I was wiped out in the massive floods here in NC in '99, just as I had gotten my shop like I wanted it, after a lifetime of scrounging, and had to start all over again. My present shop at my old location went under 5 feet of water, and I've spent the last 4 !/2 years restoring my equipment and getting back onto my feet. Had a new home built, on a hell of a lot higher ground, so now it's my turn for a new shop. As far as building the lift myself, at one time I would have considered that a challenge, but with all I have to do, in some areas time is of the essence. I just started restoration of my forklift yesterday. It's a ragged ass one I bought for $600, but it works well and has potential. I'll use it for the shop build and move. There's also a Bridgeport, Clausing Lathe, Cub Cadet, and motorcycle all in the midst of being restored or refurbished. Lot more stuff waiting in the wings, but then, hey, refurb is what I enjoy anyway. The Clausing was purchased after the flood. The rest of the unfinished equipment is coated with a layer of grease in a holding pattern. You'd be surprised how little equipment damage there was, because after the flood, I took a team in and attacked the problem areas. Water was still 2 feet deep when we started. Plan is to build the new shop, then bring in the restored pieces to allow me to work on the others, kind of bootstrapping my way up. Travel to the old shop complicates things even more. The reason for choosing the asymmetrical lift is to allow more door clearance for entry/exit to the vehicle under repair. I've always wanted a lift, so now's the time.
RJ
Reply to
Backlash
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 08:11:39 -0500, "Backlash" brought forth from the murky depths:
Used? Where did you pick that up? All the listings I showed you (at least those I saw) were new.
Indeed! I live about 50' high of the Rogue River and am glad I don't have frontage property. There have been several floods since the 50's, the latest being 1997. Condolences on your agony. That's gotta hurt.
Good deal. As long as it works, it won't take much to shine 'er up.
Ah, old arn, big arn, is the way to go. Indestructible. Buff it off, change the oil, regrease, and go! It's all this new electronic stuff which gets damaged with a bit of humidity, especially when plugged in.
Carry on. It sounds as if you have it well under control.
I always just parked it a bit to the right myself. ;)
Luck!
---------------------------------------------------------------- * Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online * laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev. * shall never cease to be amused *
Larry Jaques
Larry, I apologize! somewhere in the post reading, I must have overlooked any links, and ASSumed you were talking used. I'll check the links. Thanks.
RJ
Reply to
Backlash
|Backlash wrote: |> I'm going to be installing a 2 post asymetrical clear floor auto lift in my |> upcoming new workshop. Does anyone have pros or cons about any particular |> brand? I've noticed that EVERY TV show I've seen has Bend Pak lifts. Are |> they that much better, or just a TV thing? My neighbor has a Rotary and it |> seems OK, but I'd like more input. |> |> RJ |> |> |I just installed a Western Lift 9000# asymmetric clear floor lift in my |newly built garage/shop. When I was looking at lifts, I didn't see much |difference among the few I looked at. Price was a consideration, and at |$1700 the Western caught my eye. After installing it last month, I've |used it 3 times to lift my 86 Lincoln Mark VII for an oil change and |then for subsequent inspections. I lifted my '92 Grand Marquis as many |as 4 times to inspect for a troublesome oil leak. Sure beats crawling |under the car. |Since this is the first lift I ever used, I can't tell if there are |better choices, but many offered are a lot more expensive. | |It took me several days to install the lift by myself. The posts come in |two pieces for easier shipping and the whole thing weighed 1800#. The |heaviest individual parts are the lower 9 foot long posts which also |contain the carrier for the arms. I estimate that they weighed about |700# each. I used a small shop crane to help with the heavy lifting. |Stan K.
We have a local guy (DFW) who will install the Rotarys we sell for about $200. Can't beat a deal like that!
Rex in Fort Worth
Reply to
Rex B
Rex, I guess I would step on my own pride if I had someone else install the lift, since I was at one time in my career a millwright journeyman and foreman. Installation fee sounds ok, but I'd have to install my own. You got any good prices on a 9,000lb asymmetrical 2 post Rotary, including shipping to NC?
RJ
Reply to
Backlash
RJ Considering all that would be at stake, I'd be just fine with paying someone to install one :_)
As for deals, we sell Rotary. A 10K-lb assymetricl is "on sale" for $3277. You can beat that :)
[...]

Site Timeline