'Automatic Adjustable Wrench'

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:53:11 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Dave Lyon" quickly quoth:

You need to have a sit-down talk with all of them about tool quality or a running ban against their buying you -any- tools whatsoever.

The last lousy tool my parents bought for me turned out decent, a cheapo Skil 9.6v cordless drill which has lasted over a decade now. Its nicad batteries stay good on the shelf for a year, too. It's the damnedest thing I ever saw.

I recently bit the bullet and bought a Bosch 14.4v Impactor. She's a real sweetie with a Miss Universe strength. I haven't had her long enough to test her stamina yet, but I think it'll be more than decent. For $216, she'd better.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's the problem with crap like that. Well meaning people buy them as gifts. It's the same for motorcyclists, they think anything with "Harley" emblazoned on it is a good gift. I have 2 Hondas and a BSA. My last Harley was a 57 panhead 20 years ago, and it's probably my last unless I find an old VL in a barn. I have been given enough Harley T shirts and bandanas to open a store, but i just re-gift to people who fall for the brand name recognition. No sense in being ungrateful.

I really got a kick a few years back watching Bob Villa (an admitted carpenter) selling magic pliers. On the commercial you could actually see the damaged hexes on the bike wheel as the actors faked assembling a bicycle. A few years later, he is hawking a weird "reverse easyout" to remove the nuts you wrecked with the pliers. The C-clamp is kind a cool, but a unit that uses a drill battery would be better. You could use one battery for a whole set of clamps.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I've used my Makita 14.4V impact driver with a socket adapter and a 3/4" deep socket to tighten some rigging for lighting and I used it to drive a hundred + 1/4" lag bolts hanging Unistrut for conduit (and many other uses) and it's a wonderful thing.

The impact drivers are one of those things where you first say "what the heck do I need one of those for?", then try it out and go "Whoa!" followed by whipping out the credit card.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:46:17 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete C." quickly quoth:

The ability to drive 3" phillips-head decking screws in without camming a single head--while holding the driver by the thumb and forefinger--sold me. With a conventional driver, the pressure required is immense. With the impactor, it's negligible and you never hose a fastener head with one. I helped another volunteer with stair railings on a Habitat home last month. He hosed nearly every screw he touched with a 30-year-old 9.6 Makita driver. I wish I'd taken my Bosch with me that day.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How the heck is it doing it?

I have air impacts that get minimal usage but i saw a contractor earlier this year putting a floating dock together with one. I coulndt undrstand what made it so good for it does the hammer blow just cut it right into the wood with minimal resistance or something?

Reply to
Brent