WTB -- very small quantities of micarta

Wanted to buy --

I am looking for at most a dozen pieces total of C/CE or L/LE Micarta type phenolic laminate, any color for making some small

1.0 module change] gears.

Desired thickness is 10 m/m, but 1/2 inch is standard and will be fine.

Pieces should be roughly square, from 2 inches X 2 inches [50 mm X 50 mm] to 4 inches by 4 inches [100 X 100mm]. I may go for a piece 5 inches X 5 inches [125 mm X 125 mm] if things go well.

Alternative material is 6061 T6 aluminum [aluminium] same sizes. [Being a serious cheap screw I am hoping for a lower price than Enco]

If you have some of either material send me an email at snipped-for-privacy@mcduffee-associates.us or reply on list.

Thanks.

Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Email me your snail mail addy

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

================= Thanks -- email sent.

Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Isn;t L for linen and C for Canvas? I have always heard linen type had a finer closer mesh fabric thanthe canvas and when comnparing the two or seeingone or the other its easy to distinguish canvas from linen. Didn't they also make paper type as well?

We used ot make lots of stuff with it (aircraft stuff) but the OSHA and EPA put such tight restrictions on its sanding and cutting and machining it almost took an act of god tobe able to order it or work it in the military. I may have a piece of 1/2" canvas type and could possible cut a portion of it. Part of the fringe benefits is when the military decided to eliminate all military maichining of it, they dumped it all.....I have it from paper thin to 2" + in thickness and sheets up to 4 x 8 or so....all courtesy of Uncle Sam wanting it gone!

Hi George

I have a sheet of Micarta about 2 feet square. It is about 9.5 mm thick. I dont know how to distinguish L from C . You are welcome to all or part for whatever the actual postage is.

I can send pictures if you have any interest.

Jerry

------- I forgot more about ponds and koi than I'll ever know!

Reply to
Tristan

Hi George

I have a sheet of Micarta about 2 feet square. It is about 9.5 mm thick. I dont know how to distinguish L from C . You are welcome to all or part for whatever the actual postage is.

I can send pictures if you have any interest.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

What a group!!!!

How much for a piece 6 inches wide off the end of a 1/2 inch thick sheet (if you don't have 10 MM / 0.393 inch) [assuming about 48 inches long] -- can be cut to 6 X 24 for cheaper shipping. Depending on price, I may get 2.

What is the hazard in machining this stuff? I can see the dust might be an irritant, but??? Is this asbestos reinforced? Or just another military "wild hair."?

Reply on list or to indicated email.

I will be out from Thursday Dec 21 through at least Jan 3, but will read my email/NGs every day.

Thanks again.

Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

================= Sounds ideal. I'll go for the whole thing (assuming you are in the US :-) )

L is for "Linen," which I understand is somewhat finer fabric than the C for "Cotton" or "Canvas" [I have seen both names]. The E indicates an electrical grade.

For grade info see

just don't want to pay 336.20$US for a piece, and oversize shipping on top of that.

Where are you located? Do you want to use UPS or USPS? I will be away for the holidays, until at least 3 Jan starting Thursday Dec 21, but will check my email several times/NGs several times a day.

Use the email address shown or reply on list.

Thanks a bunch

Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Hi George

This sheet is 21 inches by 23 inches and 0.367 inch.

If you can use that slightly too thin panel I'll be glad to wrap some cardboard around it and send it to you. If you can use it in smaller pieces, I can try cutting it. But, cutting wont be real aesy for me. I dont have a band saw.

Tell me more about your interest in this from Los Alamitos California

90720.

Jerry

I just don't want to pay 336.20$US for a piece, and oversize

Reply to
Jerry Martes