B&S Engine starts but won't run

I just paid $2.39.9/gal for regular 10% ethanol gas. Local sources of ethanol-free premium cost $4.69/gal. For weed-eater use, that's not a big hardship. But since I have yet to see any damage caused by regular gas, in any vehicle or implement, I continue to use the cheaper stuff instead.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I saw this jelled crap in the carbs of a Kaw 250 Ninja . Comes from ethanol laced gas but i don't know why it does that other than age .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Jim Wilkins

When I worked for a Ford dealership in Vista in the '70s, a Pinto was towed in which was said to be running poorly. The mechanic diagnosed a plugged exhaust system. They had used leaded gas in the car for a long while, until it would still start but could barely run off-idle. When we ripped into the cat, we found the intake end of the honeycomb to be fused nearly shut. That was a hoot. I still have the piece around here somewhere.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It usually costs a bit more but there are places offering gas without alcohol and not just premium stuff. Some are listed here:

Maybe you'll see something there close by to check out.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

If you want ethanol-free gas, this is the list of stations that I see recommended most often. Tell Larry that there is a huge number of them in Oregon, and the most recent prices (last week) were running around $3.69.

NJ has only one ethanol-free dealer listed, and he's in the middle of the freaking Pine Barrens. d8-(

I suspect, though, that they're missing a lot of marinas on the Jersey Shore that sell it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Who said anything about a car?? And the lead will foul the plugs and muffler on small engines too - which is why I said what I said.

Reply to
clare

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple bucks.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

We buy 90%+ of our gas at one place , and they have both regular and premium w/o ethanol . They know what I'm going to buy when I pull up , premium non eth for the Harleys , regular non eth for the gas cans , cheap stuff for the car and truck .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I've got about 20 spares at the one customer site and a few extras here at home too but they are all corded and this one is cordless.

Reply to
clare

So, how do you reduce smog when using 15% more fuel? It's all PC bullshit. You add 10% ethanol to fuel and lose 15% fuel mileage, so you're still down 5% PLUS you have to make and buy the ethanol. Typical Algoreesque scheme, I tell ya.

This morning I found out that it was the Oregon Global Warming Commission (what a farce) which caused us to be strapped with ethanol infected gasoline.

Meanwhile, the corn going to make ethanol causes food prices to rise and all the while, the gov't is giving corn and ethanol producers windfall profits to make it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you're losing 15% of your gas mileage with E10, something is screwed up in your truck. Extensive testing shows around 3.7% average loss with E10.

In fact, I think that a 15% loss with E10 is physically impossible, but stoichiometry is not my thing.

If you want to see the results of some extensive testing with various blends, including with small, "non-road" engines, here's a summary:

Ed Huntress

If you're a touch typist, simply dot the F and J keys with a mound of epoxy or fingernail polish, or superglue a rounded piece of broken key to the tops. If you're not a touch typist, shame on you. You should have learned that by now. When computers came out, I sure was glad I took typing in 9th grade.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's good to see the group getting on topic every once in a while.

There's an amazing amount of internal combustion engine diagnosis that you can do if you just remember that fire needs fuel, air, and heat to burn, and that an internal combustion engine without fire is just an air pump.

Air needs to get in, fuel needs to get in, the air & fuel need to be heated up to ignition temperature, it has to be able to work on the piston, and then it has to be expelled before the cycle repeats. If one of those is missing, it ain't gonna work.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

"This is the way the world ends Not with a bang but a whimper"

T.S.Eliot, "The Hollow Men"

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I can often figure out the problem by holding my hand in the exhaust stream for a moment and then sniffing it. To calibrate your nose, try that for a rich mixture with the choke out, a normal mixture when warmed up and a lean one when running the carb dry.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

it has to have spark (at the right time!),

it has to be able to work on the

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

In the real world, E10 generally yields 3.5 to 5 % loss of fuel economy

Reply to
clare

Nott a touch typist, sad to say. I twisted rnches in hgh school insead of tappng keys. Serverd me very well for 26 years.

Reply to
clare

Not cordless only - but located where a cord is a genuine pain. I just switcvhed to a different keyboard - and ths one requires a bit firmer touch> we will see how ths one goes.

Reply to
clare