BACKHOE

Anyone know ANYTHING about aN Ih-3400 and a Case 480b?

I am buying.

Thanks

j/b

Reply to
justme

look here, in the appropriate forums.

Mine is a Ford, so I don't know anything specific about those - but the folks there will (and the search function will bring up whatever people ask about those ones.) I know a lot more about buying an old hoe now than I did then, though. ;-(

Look for leaks. Put grease in all the fittings - if you can't, they have been severely neglected for a long time. That can destroy bushings, and even the holes bushings are supposed to be pressed into. If you can, look at what comes out and judge the neglect level. Check all the dipsticks and level holes - you want to both check the level, and look for odd colors (such as the brown of water mixed in oil) and burnt smells in the fluids.

Check for sag - pick up the hoe and park it in several positions, then take your hands off the controls - does it stay put, or does it droop under gravity, indicating a leak (which can be an internal cylinder leak rather than an oil on the ground leak.) Same on the bucket.

Look for cracks. Carefully examine any welds that don't look factory.

Check over the tires and price a new set if they are not in decent shape.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Thanks, Lawrence. Will take your suggetions.

j/b

Reply to
justme

Ecnerwal wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

In addition, park it sideways on a slight slop and swing the hoe to a 45° angle. Remove hands...does it drift downhill? (Check both sides, most have independent cylinders in a push/pull or just a pull arraingement.)

Turn the front bucket mouth down, put it on the ground and raise the front of the hoe off the ground. Does it stay?. When digging, tires should not be on the ground.

Do the jacks leak down?

Check the hoses for abraison and cracking of the jackets....having a bath in 180° oil is not a fun experience.....

The Case 480B is a good hoe, it's slow, but has a powerful hoe, IIRC there was no turbo on the B. I think it was the C model when they added the turbo. Older Ford hoes were really fast, but not as powerful. I've ran both commercially in another life. No experience on the newer Ford "True" hoes, but I've not heard any complaints about them either.

Reply to
Anthony