Ball Stud

I have a power steering cylinder that one end mounts on a 1.125" ball stud. Stud needs to be about 2" long and somewhere around 1/2"
diameter. I've busted up old ball joints and tie rod ends. Nothing the right size. RV sway bar balls are 1.250". Suggestions or source?
Andy
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 16:40:38 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

=============== Take the sample in to your local auto parts stores. Even if they don't and can't get, they may be able to identify the vehicle this came off of. Then contact the dealer and/or salvage yards with the info. Sounds heavy for a car, was this off heavy equipment?
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 17:16:33 -0500, F. George McDuffee

I bought these from Surplus Center. They have no more info other than the size of the ball as stated in their description when I bought these last 2 some years ago. They have no markings, labels, stampings of any kind. The socket that fits on the ball is the valve for the cylinder. It is built into the end of the cylinder. O'Reilly's and a local industrial supply couldn't come up with one in their catalogs.
Even a ball I could drill and put a stud into would work. I haven't been able to find any specs for CV joint balls. I've looked at a hundred spherical stud rod ends. They give every dimension except the ball diameter.
Thanks for your suggestion.
On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 19:34:59 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

====================As this is machining related, should I put OT [on topic] on the subject line?
If you have a manual lathe this sounds like a job for a spherical turning tool. 1_1/4 diameter should not be that expensive. Wonderful excuse for more tools... Piece of cake to program on a cnc lathe.
make, borrow or buy a ball turning tool
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID70&category63256899 (several larger sizes listed)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-lathe-radius-turning-tool-frame-2-PRE-BROACHED-/360352335172
http://www.homemadetools.net/tag/ball-turning
www.metalwebnews.com/howto/turning-tool/spherical_turning_tool.pdf
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/ball-turning-fixture-lathe-ideas-wanted-237714/
http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Spherical_Turning_Tool.html
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/46765-QCTP-sphere-cutter
http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/ball_turner.htm
and a bunch more
On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 19:34:59 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've seen something similar on Kenworth 40 ton trucks. It was a sort of power assist steering - a cylinder connected between the drag link and the frame. turning the steering wheel moved the drag link which started to turn the road wheels and opened a valve in the end of the hydraulic cylinder and assisted in turning the wheels - reversing the movement of the road wheel changed the valving to move the cylinder the other direction. This was a lot of years ago but someone in a heavy truck shop might help you.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Exactly John. They are power assist cylinders. I've tried forklift and tractor dealers. Didn't think of trucks. Just assumed they had power gear boxes.
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 19:25:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

They may well have today. Try to find a gray headed mechanic :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 16:40:38 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Who made the p/s cylinder? Don't they sell them? As usual (for the Web) the original question didn't contain enough info for people who might want to help to know what you need.
"I have a yellow metal blurfl. What hardware should I use?"
--
When we are planning for posterity, we ought
to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

But what if its blue!!???
"

    Paint it Pink, then use a Pink 7/82nd Octipedial Adjuster on it. (Or is that the 82/7ths Adjustable Octipedial Flanger?) But be sure not to nurdle the cordwainers. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 00:16:15 -0700, pyotr filipivich

Bbbut, what if he only has a Sextipedial Adjuster with 79/7ths flanger? Huh, what then?
--
When we are planning for posterity, we ought
to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
08:15:09 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Oh, in that case nothing he can do but pulled the cordwainer and let it fly. (Best done from behind a secure shelter.) -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."

My point exactly. If the OP states what he has, in detail, what he wants to do, what he's tried, what he thinks is the problem, etc. then a whole lot of questions don't have to be asked by anyone who is trying to help him. Details are gold.
(P.S: Got a shipment date for my rasps/files, dude?)
--
When we are planning for posterity, we ought
to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 08:12:49 -0700, Larry Jaques

Got some checks coming in this week. The box gets shipped when I get the first one.
"

A left handed framistat.

But only...only if it has converse threads! Stripping those suckers is the kiss of death!
"

That's silly brainwashing by branding. An Adidas thread is just as good.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
"
On 9/28/2013 17:02, Bob La Londe wrote:

No, no, no. You really need a turbo encabulator.
--
Steve Walker
snipped-for-privacy@frontierbrain.com (remove brain when replying)

Oooh ya!! Thats the ticket!!!