Ballscrew turning?

I have a few 5/8-.2 Ballscrews from Mc-masters-Carr I am trying to turn a short stub on the ends 0.47dia. x 1.2 deep. I am having trouble getting a good surface finish on these hardened screws. Now I like to anneal the ends of the screws to make them softer. As far as I remember I have to heat them to a cherry red and allow them to cool of slowly is there anything else I am missing? I am thinking of getting one of the propane torches with the little camping bottle as Fred Meyers sells them to do this (it is also used for soldering waterpipes about $39.-) is this gone work? Any better Ideas?

Reply to
Torsten

Tempering does not require cherry red (or any other shade). Make sure there is metal showing (like the turned down portion, for instance). Use the torch to heat the metal. It should start changing colours. It will start going to yellow, then blue, then purple, roughly (my mind is foggy in this regard). These are not *glowing* colours, but rather it will look like the metal is stained.

However, I would not recommend heat treating ballscrews, however. You will probably cause warping.

You have to have a beefy lathe to machine these things, and it really helps to have *auto* automatic feed shutoff as you should be feeding quite heavily when machining hardened steel (with carbide, of course!) A slow feedrate will get a nasty finish. Something like a .004-.008/rev with a 1/32-1/16" nose rad will work. Use 1/4 the SFPM you would with carbide on steel normally (about 70ish).

Use brazed carbide. You'll probably muck up the nose of your cutter pretty quick. No coolant/fluid!

Make sure the screw is securly held in the chuck/collet. It may want to move.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

You want to heat the end fast and keep the rest of the screw cool. In industry it is done with inductive heating IIRC. It is still tough turning through the interupted cut of the screw even after annealed.

Fred

Reply to
ff

Toolpost grinder ?

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones
.

Why not just grind it to the requirement?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX >Torsten wrote:

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Grind the ends on an OD grinder rather than trying to turn them. They are hard for a reason and need to stay hard.

Gunner

"What do you call someone in possesion of all the facts? Paranoid.-William Burroughs

Reply to
Gunner

Update I did just as described, worked out great. The screws are very easily machined once the are annealed properly.

Reply to
Torsten

Tell us how they work after some cycling...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

I expect them to work just fine. Only the ends have been anealed, the area used by the Nuts are unchanged.

Reply to
Torsten