Barium Carbonate - Bed Side Reader

I just finished reading the "bullseye mixture" in the 2nd Machinists Bedside Reader and am interested in trying the color case hardening formula described.

It seems the author got a bit of cold feet later on about the use of barium sulfate.

So the question is how dangerous is trying the method? What should one do to minimise risk? I see Skylighter has it at reasonable prices.

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Sorry, I ment barium carbonate.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

A few tid-bits from that:

*********

DANGER! MAY BE FATAL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED. MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES, AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. AFFECTS MUSCLES (INCLUDING THE HEART), AND CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM.

Health Rating: 3 - Severe (Poison)

Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES; LAB COAT; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES

In the event of a fire, wear full protective clothing and NIOSH-approved self-contained breathing apparatus with full facepiece operated in the pressure demand or other positive pressure mode.

********** Sounds rather nasty on the whole for a home shop application.
Reply to
Ecnerwal

Data from an MSDS is meant for folks dealing with industrial quantities, on a regular basis, in our current liability happy legal environment.

The same could be said for zinc, tin, or lead and we deal with those metals on a regular basis. Just take sensible precautions to avoid the dust or vapors.

Reply to
MadDogR75

Barium sulphate isn't poisonous, but the water-soluable barium salts are quite poisonous.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Wes, If you don't have it, get a copy of the "The Machinists THIRD Bedside Reader". There is a follow-up article to the method given in "The Bullseye Mixture" that tells how to do this sort of color casehardening that avoids the use of most of the nastier chemicals.

If you have the book, you likely already know that, so feel free to ignore the above.

-AL A.

Reply to
Al A.

You left out di-hydrogen oxide.

John

Reply to
John

Is that the same as di-hydrogen monoxide? I watched a program on the Moon the other day and they seem to think the polar region may contain some of this di-hydrogen monoxide. Easily converted to rocket fuel. Must be nasty stuff!!

42
Reply to
42etus

Good for killing rodents, strays, etc.

Reply to
starbolins

Is it good for mixing with paint to kill the woodpeckers that are pecking the S%it out of my siding?

Reply to
Tony

I had some of that stuff when I was a kid (back when we could get the good stuff, heh,) and I saw it dissolve some crystals BEFORE MY VERY EYES! It is even more powerful when it is heated.

I mean really, if it can dissolve a crystal, it's got to be some NASTY stuff indeed!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

As others have pointed out, that's essentially the scary writeup any chemical will have.

look up a MSDS on sodium chloride, even sucrose.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

But you always can wash it off with water! :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Not only that, it is THE green house gas, it causes more global warming than all the CO2 man has ever created ;)

nick hull

Dip your bullets in it before shooting them ;)

nick hull

Barium carbonate is slightly soluble in water. In fact one can convert barium sulfate to barium carbonate by boiling in a solution of sodium carbonate. This procedure is used in analytical chemistry.

Barium carbonate dissolves in dilute hydrochloric acid (as do most carbonates). If you ingest barium carbonate the acidity of the stomach will convert the barium carbonate to soluble barium chloride and you are in big trouble.

Reply to
Unknown

Wes fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Barium carbonate is not particularly dangerous unless ingested. One should wear breathing protection, since no heavy metal compound should be allowed (voluntarily) to enter your body. One notable exception would be barium sulfate, which is essentially inert in the pH range of body fluids, and is used for contrast fluoroscopy. (a la "barium enema")

We use roughly 100lb of barium carbonate a month. We use nuisance dust masks (p-95 rating), and enforce hand washing and clothing dust-off before eating or smoking.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I think you guys are realy talking about Oxygen di-hydride. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

[snipping what I said] [reading what Lloyd said]

Cool. I'll wear a dust mask when handling, wash my hands and change my clothes, a bit of cross ventilation (out doors). The MSDS looked similar to lead for the most part and I've been casting lead for years. Good hygiene rules will be applied. I'll wear the mask so my lungs don't glow.

I'll also look at the third machinist bedside reader formula using potasium nitrate. Well after I get around to using the KNO3 I have on hand for its original purchased purpose ( Don't tell homeland security )

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Are you sure that it isn't Hydrogen Hydroxide (HOH)? The worst parts of a strong acid and a strong base combined?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols