Basic 3D & CAD programs

On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:28:58 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

The big advantage of the parametric modelers for most of us is not the ease of generating families of parts, though that's a great feature. Rather, it's maintaining relationships between between numerous mating parts. For example, if you change the location and size of a hole in a component, the mating shaft updates to match the new diameter, its location in the assembly changes so that it remains centered in the hole, and the detail drawings of the parts update to reflect the changes.
--
Ned Simmons

Add pictures here
✖

The last cad program I played with was Acad Mechanical Desktop 2.01, parametrics would be very cool for manufacturing. IT accidently put Solidworks on my laptop when I asked for the view app. Would be nice to play with it but I couldn't afford a seat on my own. My brain is stuck in AutoCad 2.6 mode.
✖

Did you get to play with Solidworks at all? I used Mechanical Desktop for a couple years. It's usable, but a horrible kluge, and there's a world of difference in ease of use between it and the more mainstream packages. About the only thing I use straight acad for anymore is control schematics.
--
Ned Simmons

Add pictures here
✖
Hi All
I am looking for a 3D or CAD program that is relatively simple to use. I’ve used 3D Max and obtain some good results, creating figures moving camera positions etc.
However I want to design some simple machinery, a movable workbench for example. To make wheels and put a simple spindle through a hole in 3D Max is a complicated process and I am a bit rusty using it.
So can anyone recommend a 3D or CAD program to use?
Thanks
Chris
currently I use an older version of Turbo CADD that I got off of ebay - met my needs - I didn't want photorealistic rendering, just 3-D drafting. I actually prefer Generic CADD but I thought I'd try something new - Generic CADD has been off the market for a bit now
Add pictures here
✖
Chris wrote:

I'd take a look at Google Sketchup. I find it very handy for building things and checking fit, figuring out how long a piece should be to go with existing components, etc. It is both free and has some very good tutorials.
This weekend I saw a presentation by a guy doing very similar stuff with Blender. Blender seems to have more animation capability. Looked good, but I haven't tried it.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖