3D CAD Files

Hi,

If I wanted something CNC milled by a company what is the generally accepted file type?

Normally they ask for DXF but everytime I've opened a DXF file it's always been of a drawing/2D design....

Can you get/make 3D shapes in DXF or is there an alternative if wanted say something like a sphere milled?

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

The industry standard is IGES, but ask what format the people you are going to use can accept -most can accept a multitude. Iif they can take the native file format from the package you created it in then it saves any trouble.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Thanks,

Does that therefore mean that DXF is a 2D only file then?

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael