Silver soldering/brazing cast iron?

I have just bought an old watchmakers lathe and while cleaning off al

the many years of crap, i noticed the head stock has snapped at th clamp area for the bed. This looks like a very old break. I wa wondering if i could silver solder the join back to an acceptabl finish. The lathe has worked in this condition for years so the on side that is solid seems to be holding well under working conditions Many years ago, i had an old Zyto lathe and one of the headstoc bearing clamps snapped, i had to grind the break and then apply hea before a friend stick welded using special rods, neadless to say, tha was 20 odd years ago and i have moved away from that area and th friend with the welding gear, hence my question, regards Dav

-- DCree

----------------------------------------------------------------------- DCreed's Profile:

this thread:

DCreed

Brazing is probably the best way to go if you get get enough heat and allow the part to cool very slowly. I think copper oxide is the recommended flux for brass into cast iron, not certain about the flux to use for silver solder though.

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Some cast iron will silver solder easily, some can be a nightmare. Brazing with bronze is more certain, but needs more heat, which in turn increases the risk of distortion, or cracking on cooling.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Many thanks Steve and Tim, at least i now know it can be done, my onl

worry is, because the break is old, there is a fair chance that oil et could have soaked into the broken edges of the cast iron, theres onl one way to find out, regards Dav

-- DCree

this thread:

DCreed