Battery question

"SteveB" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

directions

You can get 12v motorcycle batteries in the 20Ah range. They might not fit exactly in the hole you have, but would be interchangable in terms of voltage, and would last twice as long as what you have.

If you're using multiple batteries, and they're all 12V types, put them in parallel. That is, put - to - and + to +.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Only *sealed* lead acid SLA or gel-cell types should be used.

You might end up with acid burns on the kiddies if you use a battery for utility equipment.

Additionally, using a liquid electrolyte battery will tend to leave a thin film of the acid around the battery from charging.

Gelled electrolyte and SLA batteries are available from numerous sources. Any of those battery-store type places should be able to get you a new safe battery quickly.

I haven't looked, but I would guess that some stores that sell the little electric vehicles for children would have kid-safe batteries.

Aside from those two sources, many online battery suppliers have SLA gel type batteries in numerous capacity ratings.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

My grandkids have an electric atv. The battery is kaflooey, and I need to get another. It is a 12v. 8ah, and says cautions on battery acid. So, apparently, it is an acid battery. It is pretty much sealed. It is approx.

2.5"w x 4"h x 6"l. I was wondering if I could just get a battery like is used in atvs or motorcycles or such and use that, giving it more riding time. These can be put in two at a time if properly connected. Not sure + to - or + to +, but the directions will have that. Do you think that would be too much battery?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

My son and his young daughter are big time into this. They've turned Barbie jeeps into 4 wheel drive monsters. The multiple battery thing can lead to cooking the motors or controls just because you CAN run them for longer than design times between charges. If your machine has an overtemp cutout, you may be okay in putting multiple batteries in there, but don't be surprised if the young'un still has to sit around while the circuitry cools.

I, too, would stick with gel cells designed for deep cycle operation, unless you think this is a short lived fad for the kids.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
spaco

DO NOT use flooded acid cells on a kid's toy. NEVER. AGM batteries for that application are common, readily available, and relatively cheap. They are also leak-proof and safe.

Reply to
clare

I pulled the old battery, and got on the phone. I am off tomorrow to buy an identical replacement. When the original was fully charged, it ran for most of the day, even longer than the attention span of my grandsons.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

If you buy 6V units, tie the positive of one to the negative of the other. That leaves one positive and one negative left- these are the + and - of the "new" battery. That is, they are connected in series.

If you buy 12 volt battery, rather than two smaller ones in parallel, just buy one with more amp hours. It will be cheaper and take up less space.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Steve, the type of battery your looking for a AGM (acid glass matt), also known as a starved electrolytic battery. These are designed to provide great service until they are discharged. These batteries will last between 100 and 300 charges, depending on how you treat them. The secret is to get them on the charger as soon as the kids are done driving or the batteries die!!! dont let them sit for any length of time, before you start to recharge them!!!!!!

just my two cents...

Reply to
Bob in Phx