BENEFITS OF GOOD MACHINERY ALIGNMENT

BENEFITS OF GOOD MACHINERY ALIGNMENT Industry worldwide is losing billions of dollars a year due to misalignment of machinery. The heart and soul of virtually every industrial operation pivots on keeping rotating machinery in good working order. Countless processes are dependent on the successful operation of rotating machines that produce electric power, fuels, paper, steel, glass, pharmaceuticals, the food we eat, the clothes we wear, the buildings we live and work in, and the vehicles that transport us across the surface of the Earth. Just about everything you see around has somehow been influenced by rotating machinery of some kind. The primary objective of accurate alignment is to increase the operating life span of rotating machinery. To achieve this goal, machinery components that are most likely to fail must operate well within their design limits. As the parts that are most likely to fail are the bearings, seals, coupling, and shafts, the accurately aligned machinery will reduce excessive axial and radial forces on the bearings to insure longer bearing life and rotor stability under dynamic operating conditions. Precise alignment will reduce the possibility of shaft failure from cyclic fatigue; it will minimize the amount of wear in the coupling components, alleviate the amount of shaft bending from the point of power transmission in the coupling to the coupling end bearing, and it will maintain proper internal rotor clearances. In a nutshell, accurate alignment will do nothing, but the good things and the key part of making this happen centers on the people who are responsible for installing, troubleshooting, maintaining, and operating this machinery Millwright Ron

Millwright Ron

My sawmill is powered by a 5.5HP gas engine turning a 3/4" extension shaft through a Lovejoy L095 coupler. The shaft is supported by 2 pillow blocks on a welded frame that didn't turn out exactly right after milling the tops flat. I shimmed the further block so that the two shafts aligned to a straightedge, then the nearer block to make the abutting ends align, but it isn't perfect and the first black rubber spider tore up, either from angular or radial misalignment or from heavy starting and stopping shocks before I got the loose-vee- belt clutch working right.

Now that it's all assembled, how do I recheck alignment of the short engine shaft to the longer extension without disturbing the coupler and the pillow blocks? I was thinking of 1-2-3 blocks and a straightedge, or is there a better way? Audel's "Millrights and Mechanics Guide" isn't very helpful.

Also, how do you align vee-belt pulleys with cast outside surfaces that don't run true and are too big to clean up in a lathe?

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

[...]

How about looking at the laser lines for homes. I have a level with a split cross or line out of the end. That should shoot a nice reference line and a card (4x5 card or sheet of paper...) can be used to set a reference and then checked on the far side.

Mart> >> BENEFITS OF GOOD MACHINERY ALIGNMENT

Martin H. Eastburn