Bertram lathe

I get to run this old monster lathe at work sometimes. It takes a 30 inch diameter but most of the time we are doing small stuff. At the end of the bed there is a motor and worm gear reduction box. It looks like it ran a shaft on the far side of the bed. Everything but the motor and gearbox is missing. What would it have been used for???? I am in the process of attempting to put pictures in the drop box with limited success. ... listed as Bert 1 Bert 2 and Bert 3 Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

I'm not familiar with this particular lathe, but I have a 25" Lodge and Shipley "X" model lathe that has this same pad (I think). This was another motor and long screw that rapid traversed the carriage. If you can image a big hand grabbing the carriage and moving it to-and-fro, you can see the hand wheel than normally performs this function running at about 8 gazillion RPM. Place yourself in the normal operating position and locate the family jewels in close proximity to said wheel...................

You can probably imagine why litigation ensued and lathe manufacturers paid to have these motors and associated hardware removed and sent to the junk yard.....

Reply to
Gene Kearns

Thanks... I notice the handwheel has a handle at one time that could collapse into the rim of the wheel. The way do some cranking to move the carraige. I have a taper arrachment also that will need figuring out. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman