best chemical to dissolve aluminum?

if you wanted to spray something on 180 degree thin aluminum that would eat holes in the said aluminum ,what would do it the fastest? other than mercury sulfate, thanks

Reply to
williamhenry

Sodium hydroxide (lye) or hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid) each attack aluminum with vigor.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I have to ask what is "180 degree thin aluminum"? I've never heard of this description.

Reply to
Lane

And note that both produce explosive hydrogen in copious quantities... be careful!!

Bill

Reply to
Bill P

Ferric chloride will eat aluminum up pretty handily. I found this out as a kid when I didn't have a plastic container for etching a PCB, so instead I used an aluminum tray. Oops. :)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

"williamhenry" wrote in news:pPzQd.3196$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

Household ammonia

Dev Null

thin aluminum at 180 degrees farenheit, sorry

Reply to
williamhenry

williamhenry wrote: >if you wanted to spray something on 180 degree thin aluminum that >would eat holes in the said aluminum ,what would do it the fastest? >other than mercury sulfate, thanks

&

In that case, you don't want to use muriatic acid (HCl). The fumes given off by the acid vaporizing on the hot aluminum would be REALLY REALLY terrible. I've heated it to 150F and it's not something that I'll do again.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt