Big gearbox design

wrote:

Be a royal bitch if it sprung an oil leak!!! They were also "multi speed" geared transmissions - running on the short lines in the UK I guess they stood up OK,but I doubt they would have lasted long on our transcontinrntals and hauling freight through the North American Rockies, or even the appalachians with trains several miles long.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes:

On huge transcontinental railways you are not limited for loco size - so you would not use the hydro-mechanical design to pack a lot of punch in a small light loco.

http://www.victorianweb.org/technology/railways/23.html The different conditions here affected engineering practice, for example we didn't have an abundance of skilled labor while the frontier was open, so Americans built locos with exposed plumbing and outside cylinders that were easier to maintain. -jsw
On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 19:52:19 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Tidy

There is no clutch on the usual a diesel-electric drive. Just an rheostat to control the electricity going to the motor(s). A diesel-electric vehicle often has a number of motors.

The motor torque is normally applied directly to the driven wheel.

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 4:52:01 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

The engine block always need antifreeze.
Christopher Tidy wrote:

On locomotives you need some means to connect an engine doing and requiring a couple of hundreds revs/min to wheels doing zero revs/min with some hundreds of kilonewtons drawbar power when taking off.
--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy < snipped-for-privacy@ncc1701.starfleet.fed>
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert <v snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com>