Biofuels Deemed a Greenhouse Threat

Almost all biofuels used today cause more greenhouse gas emissions than conventional fuels if the full emissions costs of producing these "green" fuels are taken into account, two studies being published Thursday have concluded.

The benefits of biofuels have come under increasing attack in recent months, as scientists took a closer look at the global environmental cost of their production. These latest studies, published in the prestigious journal Science, are likely to add to the controversy.

These studies for the first time take a detailed, comprehensive look at the emissions effects of the huge amount of natural land that is being converted to cropland globally to support biofuels development.

The destruction of natural ecosystems - whether rain forest in the tropics or grasslands in South America - not only releases greenhouse gases into the atmosphere when they are burned and plowed, but also deprives the planet of natural sponges to absorb carbon emissions. Cropland also absorbs far less carbon than the rain forests or even scrubland that it replaces.

Reply to
ATP*

A few years ago I saw a study which showed that it costs the equivalent energy of 1.26 gallons of of oil to make 1.0 gallons of ethanol.. This study was immediately denied by the tree huggers and it disappeared quickly.

Reply to
NewsGroups

Perhaps it was the same article that identified the REAL beneficiary of the biofuels movement was Archer Daniels Midland, the agri-business megalopoly. Didn't see any denials from the huggers.... /mark

Reply to
Mark F

I just got a preprint of a recent paper on this, probably the one you are referring to. I have not had time to read it in its entirety yet, but what I have read seems to indicate that biofuels CAN have a positive effect on greenhouse gases IF the biofuel is produced properly. Yes, currently most biofuel production, especially corn- based ethanol, is NOT produced in a very green way. That does not mean, however, that biofuels can NEVER be made in an environmentally positive way.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Don, ditto. But Wisconsin believes that with the power of positive thinking, we can turn all the corn into our own little oilwells and tell the middle east to kiss off.

I've not been getting my royalty check from Wisconsin because of the bottomless well of profit that is the result of ethanol. Unlike the checks in Saudi Arabia...

So who is stroking whom? The oil companies, or the tree huggers?

I have no issues with re-using the spent oil from deep fat fryers or whatever, that's wringing the last penny out of a product. If something else works, has an actual cost benefit, then people will use it.

Double whammy. More corn for ethanol, less corn for food stocks.

D> biofuels CAN have a

Reply to
Louis Ohland

If you mean the one I think you mean, it was by Pimentel, whose research is consistently debunked but widely reported. His favorite tactic is to ignore anything but the primary product of a biofuel's production. So, with ethanol from corn, he ignores the fact that the proteins are then used as cattle feed, and so on. I don't know if he's involved in this latest study, but if he is, it's suspect at best.

I wonder which oil company is paying him to lie.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That assume an inelastic supply, which isn't the case for, for instance, corn in Wisconsin. I've got about 15 acres of tillable soil that I am specifically not growing corn on, because being paid to not do so pays better than doing so. If that equation changes, I'd consider putting it back into farmland.

If the price of corn goes high enough, the millions of acres in land-bank, will be taken out. That's exactly the sort of thing that land-bank is for.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Resulting in more harm to the environment, the taxpayer, and increasing greenhouse gases.

Reply to
ATP*

BS. As Mark F pointed out, ADM is the biggest promoter of ethanol. Any environmentalist that is half-conscious knows it's a scam.

Reply to
ATP*

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:47:23 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "ATP*" quickly quoth:

I like the extra octane of ethanol, but the 10% worse gas mileage sure doesn't make it seem worthwhile--ecologically or economically. My new truck runs just fine on regular, with or without the oxidizer.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Really? Tell me please, exactly how growing corn is any different than letting grasses and wildflowers grow for free?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Read the study.

Reply to
ATP*

Corn is a row crop requiring cultivation. None of the projected costs of corn ethanol consider topsoil loss.

Corn requires fertilizer and herbicides. Nitrates and herbicides (e.g. Atrazine) in ground water are serious problems.

You obviously have not had much experience with agriculture or you would have known that there is a big difference between a row crop and grassland.

Reply to
Unknown

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:05:57 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Unknown quickly quoth:

Flowers die off and return their nitrogen/elements. Ag crops strip nutrients which have to be replaced.

Fertilizer runoff causes algae blooms in rivers and streams, causing fish killoffs, too.

Yes, a major difference in every facet.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The one that ignored secondary uses of the products turned partly into biofuels, and which hinges on deforestation to make the numbers work? Yeah, read it. Did you have an answer?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Wild environments are more efficient at converting carbon dioxide per acre and use less inputs, such as petroleum based fertilizer.

Reply to
ATP*