lathe tax

I've had my heart set on a 30" 10EE for a long time. Seen one this morning. So, I asked milady if I could put a bid on it. She said no problem, as long as I get a new couch. Looks like about a 25% extortion tax.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Look out! You're about to be blindsided. Maybe you better check what a new couch actually costs.

Bob

BTW - good luck on the auction

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

But it's really for the tractor you parked in the front lawn for weeks.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

She's made it easy for you by saying what she'd like. Get the couch first!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Even worse, I done it again. Trading rear wheels for the tractor I'm loaning my son, I stripped all the lug bolts on one rear wheel. After four days of trying, I just gave up and sent the axle in to the dealer. they'll be a full week. Stupid me, I did this right in front of the house. So, another full week with broke down tractor in front of the house.

Don's got the best advice, I should go shopping for a new couch tonight.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend
5 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Karl, a word to the wise: Have your missus pick several sofas she would like and then buy buy the most expensive one!

I found the that this kind of "generosity" pays off in spades.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wolfgang

You didn't mention _that_ part of the saga -- don't you have a shop you can pull things into?

Get her a sofa _and_ a love seat or an easy chair.

Just the fact that you have unbroken fingers to post with shows that she loves you -- you should reciprocate.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Absolutely. In marital relations, it's far better to be owed than to owe. I'da bought that sofa after I dropped the pipe on her car (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Man, I'm startin' to feel like the grinch. I'd managed to forget about whacking her car.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Think yourself lucky, I had to landscape the garden[1] to get my Holbrook C13...

Haven't picked it up yet (little sis has volunteered her services with her Rangerover to tug the flatbed), but did at least get to play with it for an hour or so before I made up my mind - £452 on Ebay, so *almost* in my price range!

Dave H.

Reply to
Dave H.

You should see the real nice high tunnel greenhouse I built for milady. She loves her garden. I dropped everything to get it built quickly. We're now eating fresh tomatoes, peppers, cukes, zucchini, peppers, eggplant, and more every day. Julie has already canned sweet pickles for the year.

I just finished the electric fence around the sweetcorn. Milady started some under wall of water hot caps and the coons got the whole first planting. Oh well, eight plantings left.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Throw in a matching "love seat" as advance payment for future F***-ups! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

SNIP

SNIP

Hey Karl,

What is the difference between a "plain" greenhouse, and this "high tunnel" design.

A local farmer here won some sort of award or recognition a few months back for his use of a "High Tunnel Greenhouse". I drive by, and it looks the same as all the other plastic cover things everybody else is using now-a-days. Big hoops covered with some sort of plastic wrap and adjustable vents/windows along the upper area.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

A high tunnel is almost the same as a greenhouse. The cost per square foot is lower and the most important diffence is use. Crops are grown in the soil with the aim of producing fruit and vegeatables.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I believe the difference is that a high tunnel uses plants directly into soil. Sort of a covered raised bed system. Gives you a lot of control over the plants environment. I always thought about using one of those large inflated buildings like they use for sports and such. Would give you an acre or two under cover. Using square foot techniques you could get a very large crop in there.

A standard greenhouse is used with pots/trays and isn't intended for direct growing of plants.

Reply to
Steve W.

SNIP

OK, Thank You.