Blacksmith Wedding i Edinburgh

Hi.... sorry to get in your way. But I am looking for a blacksmith in or near Edinburgh, who would do a un formal wedding in juli. My wife and me ARE married and it is just for the sentimental and cultural reason I plan this. She dont know anything.

Could any of you help me to find that old, traditional blacksmith in Edinburgh or out in the country... I gladly accept a one hour drive from Edinburgh. I also pay 50 =A3 or so for the service.

Any contact information will help.

Thanks and cheers

Henrik Hjortsh=F8j Denmark

Reply to
hf

Henrik, read this:

and you'll see Gretna Green is just north of the England/Scotland border on the East Coast Mainline ie less than an hour south of Edinburgh. You can still be legally married there after 21 days residency in Scotland, BUT you both must be at least 16 years old. Mike in BC

Reply to
Michael Gray

Boy, in all my wife's Regency romance novels it only requires 21 seconds' residency.

Progress - pah.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Not all that bad Tim, Wikipedia says: It was only in 1856 that Scottish law was changed to require 21 days residence for marriage. In 1753 Lord Hardwicke's Marriage Act was passed in England, which stated that if both parties to a marriage were not at least 21 years old, then consent to the marriage had to be given by the parents. This Act did not apply in Scotland where it was possible for boys to get married at 14 and girls at 12 years old with or without parental consent. Since 1929 both parties have had to be at least 16 years old but there is still no consent needed. Hope this restores your faith in Regency fiction. Mike in BC

Reply to
Michael Gray

The 21 day residency requirement no longer exists, or at least it didn't in 1981 when I was married at Gretna.

For more information,

Don Foreman

You might try contacting someone here

they do have a search facility here
but when I entered Scotland it didn't give any results. The search does work as I can find a mate listed but he's in the SouthWest, nohere near Scotland.

Reply to
David Billington

wrote: (clip) Could any of you help me to find that old, traditional blacksmith in Edinburgh or out in the country (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think you need to buy your bride a leather wedding gown. And please send pictures.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

So - you read them all? Or did your wife underline the good parts?

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

No. A leather apron!!! We want front, back and side views.....

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

They're good for when I'm too awake to sleep, and too tired to think. After all, you already know the ending.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

And dont forget to wear a leather kilt. They are available on Ebay.

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks all so far. If I find a leather appron for my wife, it think the wedding will be a little crowded with metalworkers, dont you think? We are both in our +40's and I just want the ceremony,- not a lega wedding, as we are merried 6 years ago.

Gretna Green is choice,- thanks.....

Great to have a gruope that helps you...

..... and I will take som pictures...... here a pic of me to start with

cheers

Reply to
hf

Just checked out Gretna Green,- the cheapest wedding is =A3580 ..... I am not a scotsman,- but is this not a lot of money?? I know my wife is romantic, but not that romantic. I could buy a car for that....

They even offer a package for =A33080....... wow. Why dont some of you blacksmiths not just do weddings,- it is fun and easy....wow

Reply to
hf

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 01:45:33 -0800, the infamous Gunner scrawled the following:

A leather Utilikilt, of course.

-- Acceptance is such an important commodity, some have called it "the first law of personal growth." -- Peter McWilliams, Life 101

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They even offer a package for £3080....... wow. Why dont some of you blacksmiths not just do weddings,- it is fun and easy....wow

Blimey - that's cheap - my daughters wedding was getting on for £25K

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

wrote: Just checked out Gretna Green,- the cheapest wedding is £580 ..... I am not a scotsman,- but is this not a lot of money?? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I could ship you my anvil and a stump to put it on for less than that, and you could hold the wedding in your back yard. ;-)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

---------

Wonderful old custom

see

Let the group know how you make out, and post pictures if you can.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Gretna may not be the luckiest place to get married in. I hope there are no lingering bad vibes from Britian's worst railway disaster there in 1915.

---------

Wonderful old custom

see

Let the group know how you make out, and post pictures if you can.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

Robert Swinney

Hi all

Yesterday I came home to my wife after a piping job, and the moment I she saw me, she just laughed out loud... I didnt know what was going on, but then she tolled me.

She had this idea of making a secret blacksmith wedding on our trip to Scotland.... and she didnt want me to know. So se googled for "blacksmith wedding Edinburgh" and hit nr 1 was someone looking for exactly the same. So she started reading the thread. It all sounded like just the thing she was looking for also. It was first when she came to the end of the thread, that she read my name and just began laughing.....

So as you can see this is not a secret anymore,- but never the less we still are looking for a place to make this happen.....

She did not approve the dresscode put up by some of you,- but she could shurely uderstand the idea....

We will let you know what we come up with, and also some pictures.

Cheers and thanks for now...

Yours Janne & Henrik

Reply to
hf