blasting smallish tunnels in hard rock

Further to original post: I have looked on-line. Going for the very specific search "electronic timer blasting" lead me to "electronic detonator blasting" with many relevant finds. Seems is a big industry. Hopefully by what I learn and by going for more very specific searches I can find my way into this topic.

One example find is

they list many products for blasting.

Different "takes" on the matter are appreciated.

"Large cut holes are normally drilled by reaming. First, a smaller, for example, 45mm diameter hole is drilled then reamed to the final size using a pilot adapter and a reaming bit."

"Big, uncharged cut holes (76 - 127mm dia.) [3-5"] provide an opening for the blasted, expanding rock from the surrounding cut holes."

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

they list many products for blasting.

------------------------------

This shows the speed of non-electric blasting cord:

Jim Wilkins

IIRC primacord detonation head propagates at about 2000 meters/second . I only got to play with it once or twice but it sure was fun !

Reply to
Snag

IIRC primacord detonation head propagates at about 2000 meters/second . I only got to play with it once or twice but it sure was fun !

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Thanks. That's the sort of thing I was looking for.

Reply to
Richard Smith

For what it's worth - identified the rock-drill I used.

"rock-drill of 07Dec2023 - Holman Silver 900"

One of the volunteers was a driller and said this machine is only usable on hard granite. That on any other rock - which in Cornwall would mean the "killas" which is the "country rock" - is a metamorphosed sedimentary rock - it is difficult to control. Use the popular smaller "303" - which is easier to carry too, etc.

Rich S

Reply to
Richard Smith

For what it's worth - identified the rock-drill I used.

"rock-drill of 07Dec2023 - Holman Silver 900"

One of the volunteers was a driller and said this machine is only usable on hard granite. That on any other rock - which in Cornwall would mean the "killas" which is the "country rock" - is a metamorphosed sedimentary rock - it is difficult to control. Use the popular smaller "303" - which is easier to carry too, etc.

Rich S

---------------------------------------

is "lofty-quality steel"?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

This looks to be a copy (something like a copy?) of the Holman Silver 303.

The expression in English about the drill is brilliant.

Air-powered, at one place it's got an internal petrol (gasoline) engine - in another it has an internal diesel engine ... (!)

I imagine "lofty quality" is excessive use of a thesaurus to find synonyms for "high" - "high quality"

Rich S

Reply to
Richard Smith

This looks to be a copy (something like a copy?) of the Holman Silver 303.

The expression in English about the drill is brilliant.

Air-powered, at one place it's got an internal petrol (gasoline) engine - in another it has an internal diesel engine ... (!)

I imagine "lofty quality" is excessive use of a thesaurus to find synonyms for "high" - "high quality"

Rich S

--------------------------------- I would be worse translating to or from technical French or German. I subscribed to the German language version of the Daimler in-house magazine and couldn't find many of the high tech words in a dictionary. Although much of English descended from Saxon German the modern usage is considerably different, they don't translate word for word the way French sometimes does.

I watched a pile driver that was obviously a Diesel from the black smoke puffs. Are Diesel hammers practical for horizontal drilling in tunnels?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The "Delmag" type pile-driver...

They work by the piston falling in gravity. For a horizontal cylinder there could be a spring or gas pressure.

The problem would be clean combustion. You wouldn't want sooty and tarry waste gases down a mine.

Maybe use something like propane, with spark-ignition. Would still need ventilation - would get through oxygen in the air.

Beauty of air-tool is exhausts breatable air and the tool gets cooler as it works - makes it handlable for hard work.

I think suffer the inefficiency of compressed air systems for the simplicity, robustness, safety, avoidance of environmental problems down the mine, etc.

My impression is compressed air systems are about 10% efficient. eg. 3kW into the compressor motor to get the equivalent of about 300W of electrical power in something like an angle-grinder.

I've never seen a diesel hammer in action. Seen air-driven and hydraulic.

Reply to
Richard Smith

I've seen diesel pile-drivers in action. Like this:

.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

From my experience about sixty years ago, the crew opperating a "Delmag" pile driver, wear black (beige when new) coverals!

Reply to
Gerry

From grease lubrication and from part-burned fuel?

Reply to
Richard Smith

From grease lubrication and from part-burned fuel?

-------------------------------

The video shows what I remembered, except for the smoke color. The firing rate is at or below once a second so the chamber walls may not warm to operating temperature quickly.

Last night I dreamed about being offered a very inexpensive batch of used lawnmowers with a strange electric drive, powered by a 2 cylinder rotary (like WW1) engine built into the rotor of the alternator, as simple to make as a model airplane engine, and cheap surplus 90V electric motors to spin the blade. The seller's explanations all made sense, but I woke up before he answered if it required unavailable carbon brushes or castor oil.

Speaking of weird lawnmowers, I helped restore an MTD Yard Bug.

Jim Wilkins

My impression is compressed air systems are about 10% efficient. eg. 3kW into the compressor motor to get the equivalent of about 300W of electrical power in something like an angle-grinder.

------------------------------ I saw about 20%, comparing the metered 2.48KW of my air compressor to the claimed 500W of an electric angle grinder. The time to grind welds was similar for both tools. I didn't measure carefully because I can't fine tune the process, only choose between them.

I read an analysis of a proposed compressed air automotive drive that said the energy loss was mainly from compression heating and expansion cooling, and in the installation they proposed insulation and a heat exchanger would increase efficiency, for instance if the compressed air remained hot its energy would be retained. PV=nRT. Compound steam engines were developed to reduce the loss from steam cooling the cylinders as it expanded.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I've never seen a diesel hammer in action. Seen air-driven and hydraulic.

-----------------------------

Jim Wilkins
<snip>

Only saw one once mowing in a ditch... but thought the "Hover Mowers" were pretty unusual😉

Leon Fisk
<snip>

See the Taylor Hydraulic Air Compressor for some interesting reading. A patent with some info and related pointers here:

and an old report:

Leon Fisk

My uncle had one of those back in the late 50's (?) or maybe early 60's . As I recall it did a reasonably decent job .

Reply to
Snag

You know you might be overdoing arcane interests when you get strange dreams on the topic... :-)

Reply to
Richard Smith