Blue Rhino Lake County Florida propane facility explosion

This was a few miles from my first shop in Florida. It looks like they will be short a lot of tanks for a while. I had to report a leaking
tank in one of their retail locations a few weeks ago. The manager of the drug store it sat in front of wasn't too happy, since some customers ignore the 'No Smoking' signs on a regular basis.
<http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/os-blue-rhino-plant-explosion-before-and-after-20130730,0,927487.htmlstory
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 23:34:22 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Scary thought, that.

Thanks, Sentinel. LOUSY before and after comparison. They aren't the same resolution and it's impossible to tell how much of the area covered on the right (after) was in the left (before) picture. The painted rectangles give some bit of reference, but...
--
If you're trying to take a roomful of people by
surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets

Agreed!
--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of

And another thing the Sentinel got wrong was that these were 20# tanks, not 20 gallon. BIG difference: 300%!
Pete's probably right about the karma thing. I can refill for under $6 today, not $25-30 for the Rhinos. I'm considering getting another tank for backup...
--
If you're trying to take a roomful of people by
surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets
On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 07:04:49 -0700, Larry Jaques

Propane here is $3.40 a gallon. So I get mine filled for $15.50 I have (10) "5 gallon" tanks (two of which are needing to be exchanged for the new style)
My forklift tanks are 7.9 gallons and they cost me about $27 a fill IRRC I have 3 of them
Must be nice to have cheap propane. Sigh
--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of

$1.45/gal here. I was pleasantly amazed when I heard that a few weeks ago.

It would be even nicer if I went through it quickly.
--
If you're trying to take a roomful of people by
surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets
On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:09:06 -0700, Larry Jaques

It would be nice if I went through it less quickly...sigh
--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
On 7/31/2013 4:14 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I was complaining to Roger that there must be a leak in the forklifts' Propane systems and he said there was...it's called the carburetor. It seems they should be rated in feet per gallon!

Ayup!!
--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of

If I went through it quickly, it would mean that I had a forklift. That couldn't be all bad, huh? ;)
--
If you're trying to take a roomful of people by
surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets
On 7/31/2013 3:09 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

HOLY SHIT BATMAN! I'd convert all my vehicles to dual-fuel! (A sure way to spike the price on propane!)
BOOM,
Can you tell me exactly where. My parents live in Lake county. They are 'up Nort' right now.
Karl

Tavares, Karl. Only one adjacent property was slightly harmed when a 20lb tank came through the roof (not on fire). Just a hole, not total havok.
The plant was decimated, (53000 20lb tanks on premises, most full or with some gas in them) but the bulk tanks did not pop. One of the two 30Kgal tanks did suffer a slow leak, but they successfully burned off the contents last night on a to-purpose burn stack.
Lloyd
Karl Townsend wrote:

Off Hwy. 448, near Hwy. 561. Zoom in for a view of the area before the fire.
<https://maps.google.com/maps?num 0&safe=off&client=firefox-a&q=blue+rhino+fire+lake+county+plant+location+map&ie=UTF-8&ei=JVz5Ua_5D5Pe8ASGyIBI&ved AoQ_AUoAg>
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Karma - You make huge profits overcharging for under filled tanks, then karma kicks you in the head and your fill plant blows up.
On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 23:34:22 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Amazing - In front of the Home Center or Supermarket they have the filled propane bottles safely stored in cages, so even if one leaks and catches fire, and starts cooking the bottles till the pop-offs open... They can't go anywhere.
Now you'd think they have the same basic system to slide a whole pallet of stacked bottles at a time into caged sections of pallet racking at the bulk plant yard, so if there's a fire it stays in one place. No loose bottles to go flying off and lighting off new sections. But the reality...
Gee, if I sold pallet racking I'd be down there trying to make a sale. And looking to retrofit the rest of their yards, too.
--<< Bruce >>--