Blue Rhino Lake County Florida propane facility explosion

This was a few miles from my first shop in Florida. It looks like they will be short a lot of tanks for a while. I had to report a leaking tank in one of their retail locations a few weeks ago. The manager of the drug store it sat in front of wasn't too happy, since some customers ignore the 'No Smoking' signs on a regular basis.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Scary thought, that.

Thanks, Sentinel. LOUSY before and after comparison. They aren't the same resolution and it's impossible to tell how much of the area covered on the right (after) was in the left (before) picture. The painted rectangles give some bit of reference, but...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Agreed!

Reply to
Gunner Asch

BOOM,

Can you tell me exactly where. My parents live in Lake county. They are 'up Nort' right now.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karma - You make huge profits overcharging for under filled tanks, then karma kicks you in the head and your fill plant blows up.

Reply to
Pete C.

Karl Townsend fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Tavares, Karl. Only one adjacent property was slightly harmed when a

20lb tank came through the roof (not on fire). Just a hole, not total havok.

The plant was decimated, (53000 20lb tanks on premises, most full or with some gas in them) but the bulk tanks did not pop. One of the two 30Kgal tanks did suffer a slow leak, but they successfully burned off the contents last night on a to-purpose burn stack.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

And another thing the Sentinel got wrong was that these were 20# tanks, not 20 gallon. BIG difference: 300%!

Pete's probably right about the karma thing. I can refill for under $6 today, not $25-30 for the Rhinos. I'm considering getting another tank for backup...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Propane here is $3.40 a gallon. So I get mine filled for $15.50 I have (10) "5 gallon" tanks (two of which are needing to be exchanged for the new style)

My forklift tanks are 7.9 gallons and they cost me about $27 a fill IRRC I have 3 of them

Must be nice to have cheap propane. Sigh

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Off Hwy. 448, near Hwy. 561. Zoom in for a view of the area before the fire.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

$1.45/gal here. I was pleasantly amazed when I heard that a few weeks ago.

It would be even nicer if I went through it quickly.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It would be nice if I went through it less quickly...sigh

Reply to
Gunner Asch

HOLY SHIT BATMAN! I'd convert all my vehicles to dual-fuel! (A sure way to spike the price on propane!)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I was complaining to Roger that there must be a leak in the forklifts' Propane systems and he said there was...it's called the carburetor. It seems they should be rated in feet per gallon!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Ayup!!

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Amazing - In front of the Home Center or Supermarket they have the filled propane bottles safely stored in cages, so even if one leaks and catches fire, and starts cooking the bottles till the pop-offs open... They can't go anywhere.

Now you'd think they have the same basic system to slide a whole pallet of stacked bottles at a time into caged sections of pallet racking at the bulk plant yard, so if there's a fire it stays in one place. No loose bottles to go flying off and lighting off new sections. But the reality...

Gee, if I sold pallet racking I'd be down there trying to make a sale. And looking to retrofit the rest of their yards, too.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

If I went through it quickly, it would mean that I had a forklift. That couldn't be all bad, huh? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques