does a diebold R-5425 data-safe have asbestos

I am a consultant looking to identify asbestos (or not) in the safe walls...can't resell the items (there are four) without knowledge of the
potential for asbestos inside.
On 8/1/2013 9:18 AM, Environova wrote:

So, say there is asbestos. What happens if you are wrong and there is not asbestos?
Paul
replying to Paul Drahn , Environova wrote:

Nothing happens other than excessive disposal cost - unless the unit is resold for use, then there is no problem whatsoever. If, however, it goes the other way(saying there's none and there really is some), then there could be significant fines and jail time if someone opens the walls and gets exposed.

Let me know what you find out, I also have a diebold data safe that I mean to offer for sale.
I believe that they all use drywall type material instead of asbestos. Drywall gypsum has better heat resistance, because it can absorb a lot of heat while thermally disintegrating. It does not really need asbestos.

Ig, It's true that asbestos is not required for the insulative qualities. However, in a lot of older gypsum-lined apparatus that would be exposed to heat, they used chopped asbestos fiber to reinforce the poured gypsum, so that it would not crack during curing, oven drying, and handling.
Cracks would condemn the safe in a fire; very quickly, actually.
Lloyd
Ignoramus4354 wrote:

I'd call Diebold. As far as I know, they are still in the ATM business, at least. I suspect they HAVE to answer such questions by law. "Data safe" sounds like it is for protecting computer media, and therefor is probably fairly recent, so it has a good chance to be asbestos-free.
Jon

Data safes are awesome. They are much better protected against fire, than regular safes. Mine is rated for reaching only 150 degrees inside after being in fire for 2 hours.
replying to Ignoramus4354 , Environova wrote:

I finally found a phone number that works. Diebold says (according to their legal department) they never knowingly used asbestos in their products, but if your going to scrap the item, proceed as if asbestos is present.

This, this is very useful.

That's a non-answer. Actually they do know if asbestos was an ingredient in the insulating plaster. What they don't know is how much asbestos came in other ingredients.
When I was selling a house many years back, the buyer's broker wanted me to certify that the house had no UFFI in the walls. I declined to sign, because while I had seen no UFFI, I had and did not plan to open up all the walls and inspect for UFFI. Legally, my answer was "unknown", and there is no legal duty to investigate. The broker backed down.
Joe Gwinn
Environova wrote:

Why don't you ask Diebold?
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
replying to Michael A. Terrell , Environova wrote:

Diebold has moved and there number just rings...not even voicemail.
message

Umm... Diebold is a huge, publically-traded multinational company. Have you called the main number on the website: http://www.diebold.com/our-company/Pages/contact-us.aspx?ref=/Pages/default.aspx
replying to anorton , Environova wrote:

http://www.diebold.com/our-company/Pages/contact-us.aspx?ref=/Pages/default.aspx
Thank you for the contact us page on their website - I am currently awaiting a response from Diebold directly via the internet, since their main number was not answered when I called several times.
On Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:18:01 PM UTC-4, Environova wrote:

in

ault.aspx

-have-asbestos-581044-.htm

Here's a general tip for what to do when a large company doesn't respond to a "normal" contact: Search on their web site for the corporate governance office or the investor relations office. In my experience, these phones ALW AYS get answered, and usually by someone who is more than happy to connect you to the right department.
In this case: INVESTOR CONTACTS Primary IR Contact Investor Relations Department 9-B-16 Diebold 5995 Mayfair Road North Canton, OH 44720 Phone: 1-800-766-5859 Outside the U.S.:330-490-3790
replying to rangerssuck , Environova wrote:

Thank you for the contact number (I was unable to find it on the internet), it worked beautifully!!
Diebold says they never knowingly used asbestos in their products, but if you're going to damage the integrity (like would happen at a scrap yard) then you should proceed as if asbestos is present.
Thanks again!
On Thursday, August 1, 2013 12:18:02 PM UTC-4, Environova wrote:

Not that anyone sees replies from google, but this may be of some use...
https://portal.navfac.navy.mil/portal/page/portal/NAVFAC/NAVFAC_WW_PP/NAVFAC_NFESC_PP/LOCKS/dodlock_newsletter/pdf_files/Volume5-1.pdf

That's a perfect answer! Thanks!