Anyone have a sailboat trailer and coming to California?

Sigh....nice boat

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Someone got a nice boat for $1,575 Have a friend on lake Michigan with nearly same model.

Reply to
fhababorbitz

Yeah, nice. Izzat the original '78 plaid material? It went for a song.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Must have been quite a little bidding war at the end....

Ive been browsing Ebay and Craigslist for 2 months so far (using Search Tempest) and there are a LOT of free or nearly free sailboats out there. Im looking for a swing keel or a shoal draft keel so I can sail the local lakes and trailer it home at the end of the day. Ive been offered 3 free boats, in decent shape, a Columbia 25, a Pearson

35 (NICE! boat) and a Venture 24. All of which have full keels and need a crane to be put in the water. Lots of folks cant afford that pesky $300+ a month marina fee anymore, or the husband has died and they dont know what to do with the boat he left behind. Lots of boats in California being bought at lien auctions at marina for $20..but most of them...fixed keels and no trailer.

Im talking to a guy in Fresno about an "American" (no idea other than its 26 foot..there were several makers using that name) on a trailer who has had it in his back yard for 10+ yrs. 2 photos were lousy, didnt show inside the cabin and he said "come on up and make an offer"..which is a 6 hour round trip for an unknown boat.

Ill keep looking until I find one I can take the grand kids out on. I dont mind fixer uppers, Im fairly handy and know sailboats pretty well having raced for years...but I dont want to have to "Restore" one from the keel up.

Lots of decent free or nearly free ones..but they all have full keels, or are west of the Mississippi.

Shrug.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Im kinda curious what this one will go for.

Wont take all that much to get the mold off it.....gallon of bleach and a good scrub brush would go a long way... inside and out.

Same model, 55 miles away. No trailer though.

Gunner Asch

The Macgregor 26 is also a nice trailer sailboat.

Reply to
PCS

Is that the water ballasted one? How long does it take to fill the ballast tanks once you are in the water? And how long does it take to empty them once you put it on the trailer and groan up the launch ramp?

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If you've got a schedule, don't get on a sailboat, or behind one at the ramp.

Reply to
PCS

Sailboats should be rigged up before they get on the ramp..thats what the parking lot is for. Ive been rigging them for 30 yrs and the average time from the moment I start backing down to the time its sailing away is about 5 minutes, max..and that includes putting the truck back in the lot.

Now sailaboats are not for the lead footed, kick it in the ass and go types. Not even Hobis and Prindles. On the other hand..my fuel costs are about zero as are my maint costs for props and lower ends

Reply to
Gunner Asch