Anyone have the dimesions and taper angle on a 5c?

I know its on the web but I am getting a bunch of pages trying to sell me something. Does anyone have the dimensions and taper angle of a 5C.

Reply to
Waynemak

Try this

machineman

Reply to
Waynemak

My 5-C's have a Jarno taper, 0.60"/ft. This taper was designed to involve no math to calculate. The large end is the taper no. in 1/8th's, the small end is the number in 1/10th's and the length is the taper number divided by 2. The taper in the c-5 is a truncated #13. Hope this helps, Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

I don't think your 5C collets have a jarno taper. If they did they wouldn't be 5C collets. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I notice that the drawing on the Dunham Tool site shows the internal thread but not the external thread dimensions.

A few years back when I was repairing 5C drawbars for our S.B. lathes I measured our collets, found the to be (IIRC) 1.235 x 20 I commenced to search for that size tap, high and low I searched.

Finally I wound up talking to a rep at MSC who put me on hold for a moment, next thing I knew I was on the three way conversation with myself, the MSC guy and someone out in South Bend. The S.B. guy cheerfully said Oh, we just make the drawbars 1.250 - 20. It was easy to find that size tap for only $$$.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School

643 Upper Maple Street Dantieson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

Reply to
Waynemak

He must be thinking of the 5c adapter for the spindle. Many spindles use Jarno and #13 seems about the right size.

Reply to
tomcas

The angle duplicates that on the 30-taper tooling for heavier machine tools. According to Machinery's Handbook, that is:

3.5 inches/foot.

Which I think calculates out to 16.9578 degrees, or

16 deg 57' 28"

Enjoy, Don.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols