cheap AC welders -- here's another one (Seattle)

In case anyone doesn't believe me about the actual market price for little AC welders, here's yet another one under $100:

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

yeah, I've seen a whole bunch offered in that price range. They just never seem to be anywhere near where I live :-(

I've been to a few used equipment dealers around my area that had some small welders ~$150. Their AC225's (actually all their welders) looked like they had either fallen into the cement truck (and no one cared), or were sitting out on the docks for 10 years, or both!! Now I dont care much what they look like... but most of these things looked REALLY well used and abused. At 2/3 the price of a new unit... I dont think so. I'm sure there are deals to be found around my local area, I just wish I knew where to find them.

Art

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Grant Erwin

yep! I am also running a wanted ad on there. Art

Reply to
Art

The AC225 is really just a big multi-tapped transformer w/ a fan, where somehow the 75 amp tap has a 100% duty cycle. There were some threads here years ago about making your own welder out of junked gonzo transformers. Also the point being that if you could find a cosmetically *really* beat up

225, as long as the xformer is OK, you might get away cheap(er).

Funny, as simple as a buzzbox is, a lot of people just can't get it right, like Sears. Sears at one time appeared to be tryna compete w/ Lincoln, w/ a continuously variable welder, w/ all kinds of bells/whistles. That thing was pert near

*un-usable*! At double the Lincoln price!

In 1980, the prices of these Lincoln units, w/ a pretty complete accessory kit (incl wheels), was $105. Like an asshole, I let mine go, in pristine condition. Actually, I gave it away!!

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®