Bobcat or other gasoline powered welder?

Ëx?=ÍNÃ0?ï~?¹"*?HTw'?Vcoe;­òöLÜ)??ÙÙñ·  ¾ñh§%äqF?ppa?öh¦y9Y?eì$²f3j´6`J¨?é«°?Tlâ?ÄK$´3ø?h³Æ ð¡¬ÍK
Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Miller does make a unit named PIPE PRO 304 CC/CV W/DUAL POWER which lists for around $13K. It will run off 230VAC single-phase power. By comparison, if grid power is not a requirement, the TRAILBLAZER 301 G(KOHLER)CC/CV AC/DC 10,000W lists for around $4200 and is an excellent machine. A diesel version is available as well. This unit is rated for AC TIG. Just cannot run it off the grid. I have used a Bobcat for some time for portable power and stick welding. There is usually some cost in wiring up a receptacle for any non-engine drive, which I avoided by getting the Bobcat. There ARE limits to emergency generator use - about 10KW and about 8-10 hours for gasoline-fueled, depending on load. These units will run 3600 rpm if there is even a small load attached.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Thanks for the info, Thomas.

I should have been more specific in my original post - I'm talking cheap! I'd like to stay under $2500, maybe $3K tops.

I'm still looking around on the Web. I see Miller has a cheaper model line than the Bobcat, but I need to read up on it.

The grid power isn't an absolute requirement, I'm just thinking that it would be nice to weld indoors sometimes, esp. during the winter.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

I've had a Campbell-Hausfeld genwelder for around 6 months now. It has settings from 60 amp to 140 amp. I forget whether it puts out 4kw or 5kw when used as a generator, never tried that aspect. If 140 amps is big enough, it's a sweet unit. They run $1000 more or less, seems like Harbor Freight had them but I chose to buy mine direct from c/h because the delivery time was shorter.

Reply to
random

Thanks for the info,

Can the welder part of the unit be powered independent of the generator? I don't mean physically separated - can I plug the welder into a 230V outlet and weld without running the gas engine?

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

I've been wrong before, :-) , But I really think you are looking to buy two separate machines.

All the welder/ gensets I have ever seen anything about were only able to be powered by the motor, having no provisions for running the welder side of the machine from outside electricity. A lot that I have seen, did not even have provisions to be used as a genset.

From my limited experience with these units, you would have to find one that included a large electric motor in the system to turn the welding generator. This would add a lot more size/weight/complexity/cost to the product. I suppose it could be done with the inverter technology that is out there, but that would take it right out of the realms of the affordable.

Think two machines!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Oh, yeah? I'll bet I've been wrong more than you've been wrong! I'm beginning to think you're right about buying separate machines, though Aside from the power supply issue, those combination units are heavy!

I'm thinking, I'm thinking!

Thanks for the response.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to