Bolt Hardness Question

I have a tractor that uses three 5/8 bolts, 3 inches long with fine thread, to hold on the front wheels. With there being only three bolts, and this tractor being used to lift 1000lb hay bales, and other heavy stuff, I know these bolts need to be strong. I was surprised to find that the local tractor store did not have these bolts, and said they could not order just one bolt and nut. I went to a farm supply store where they had a large selection of coarse threaded bolts, and only a small selection of fine threaded. However, they did have the size I needed. Another farmer told me that I should always use a hardened bolt for this application. They did not have any grade 8 fine threaded bolts, but the one I bought appears to be a grade 5.

I say "appears" because I was not sure. When I got home I went on the web and found this site:

What I bought has three evenly spaced lines on the head. There is also a triangle in between two of them. The 3 lines shows it to be listed as: SAE J429 Grade 5

-OR- ASTM A449 Listed as - Medium Carbon Steel, Quenched and Tempered.

First, is this strong enough? I know it's stronger than a common bolt.

Second, what is the triangle for? Is that just a brand logo, or dies it mean something about the grade hardness?

It appears to be a hard bolt, but that's just a visual look at it.

Otherwise I'll have to wait until I get to the city and see if I can find something better.

Thanks for all help and advice.

Reply to
letterman

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in news:g5ocs390ntmc2od21jc4ni65hamsrmdobd@

4ax.com:

You should get the proper grade 8 bolt.

Reply to
Anthony

contents snipped

et to the city and see if I can

These are wheel studs? What make/model of tractor? I always have been able to get wheel studs/nuts at a parts house. The only place I've seen regular bolts on a tractor wheel is in the rear. ED

Reply to
ED

Sounds just like the front end of my Farmall. I'd look for grade 8 bolts, but in the meatime use the grade 5s and keep an eye on them.

For a couple dollars shipping you can get the screws from:

91257A827 Grade 8 Alloy Steel Hex Head Cap Screw Zinc Yellow-Plated, 5/8"-18 Thread, 3" Length In stock at $9.07 per Pack This product is sold in Packs of 5
Reply to
Ned Simmons

That's what it is, a Farmall H. To the other guy that replied, they are NOT studs, they're bolts. That's how they made those old Farmalls. Two wrenches are needed to remove the wheel, which on a narrow front end can be a bit of a pain. I put anti-sieze on the bolts now, but originally I could not get them out. I finally took the whole hub off at the bearings, and had to take the wheel to a mechanic with power tools. This time I was snowed in, and took off the other wheel which I never had off. I had no choice but to grind off that one nut which was stripped on the head. This nut was really thin for some reason and a wrench would not stay on it. Even though that bolt is still usable, since I only ruined a small spot on the threads, I want a new bolt for that application. I can use the old bolt for something non-critical.

Thanks

Reply to
letterman