McMaster just gets better and better

So just now I'm cruising McMaster's website for some hardware. I clicked down their easy, intuitive user interface to the part I wanted. Glanced to the left of the screen and see the link to a 'technical drawing'. Clicked on that and just as I'm preparing to do a screen capture, I see above the drawing number a link to 'download'. Oh Really?

Clicked the link and several seconds later I'm looking at a solid model of the part in my CAD program. :)

I have no connection to McMaster and this may be old hat to you all, but I'm happily impressed!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Me either. And it annoys me that, at least in Internet Explorer, trying to use the back button is usually futile.

The technical capabilities of their website are impressive and being able to get back to where you were probably isn't as important, but it sure would be nice to be able to use the Back button and use the History folder.

Reply to
John Doe

Most browsers have a drop down to side of each front back button. Try selecting the drop down and select a point in the past.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've been browsing the Internet a long long time. It has something to do with their server.

Reply to
John Doe

To be precise. I probably should say it has something to do with either their server or the way their server interacts with Internet Explorer 6.

Reply to
John Doe

I'm a Seamonkey and Firefox man depending on what I'm doing.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

If you look at the url bar in your browser, you'll notice that it never changes. Always just

I think their site is run on Java (although I don't actually know cause I'm too lazy to look at the source ;-)) Anyway, I'd be fairly happy the back button works at all.

As someone who is trying to create a site along the same lines (though not to such depth or complexity), designing a site where people can find what they want among some 450,000+ products is not trivial. At such a level, there will inevitably be issues...

Of course, my back button worked on their site just now ;-)

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

They have by far the best catalog lookup site I've ever seen. I think they use frames, and you just have to be sure which frame is active before you click "back". If you type in the search box or click a search result, that left frame is active, not the right frame that displays catalog pages. Just click somewhere in the catalog frame to select it, then use back. The history pulldown may show 10 seemingly identical "mcmaster carr" entries, but they do work for me.

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net (remove nospm or make the obvious changes before replying)

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Too bad that they do not sell to Canada any more. Too much trouble with customs they say.

Reply to
Boris Mohar