MRC FX Engine???

Has anyone used these??? Picked up a pack out of the "Oldies Box" from local hobby shop.

They're 38mm long, 8.75mm Dia. and have an 8sec burn time. Nozzle exit dia is about 2mm.

From the packet -

Model Rectifier Corporation (MRC) Edison, New Jersey Model Rocket Special Effects Engine.....

FX Engines are a low thrust-long burning dense smoke producing engine that are used to create pre lift-off smoke for added realism.

Igniting FX engines first, your model will sit on the launch pad and billow dense white smoke for as long as 8sec prior to lift-off

Reply to
CJC

I bought some for Peanut Scale clustering. I static tested one first and it Cato'd, so the model never flew, and the rest of the motors went into the colection.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

yikes!

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

yep, I'm lookin' at a couple of em. They'll remain part of my motor museum.

I used one in the back yard back in '90 just to see what it would do. I wasn't impressed. No "dense cloud of smoke", and certainly nowhere near eight seconds of it.

I used another in a MRC rocket, but it catoed (just spit itself out of the rocket... no damage done)

I saw Bill Stine demo a few at NARAM 32, to some success.

Reply to
Roy Green

Yeah, I've got a few packs of em. I've lit them off and annoyed the neighbors, but I'm gonna use them for a hybrid launch. As soon as the LCO sees the smoke he makes the 8 count, it should look kind of cool based on what they did in the back yard.

They smell like burning tires.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

A good way to make preliftoff smoke (done it for photo ops, works great), is to remove the clay and ejection charge out of any BP motor with a delay, and put it in backwards. You can leave a little BP in there for ignition help. Do put a drop of epoxy or stuff some wadding in the nozzle. Good use for those old D11-9's that have no other practical use.

Not that this quite fits within the parameters of any safety code I know of, of course...

Reply to
Mike Dennett

Yet another way is to use a delay kit and ignite one end.

Since delay kits are certified, it is also 100% compliant.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Just tried to fire one up.........I said TRIED!!! Couldn't get the little sucker going.....

They seem to Cato alot......maybe the sticker on them gives this away.....Yellow with black stripes.... Danger / Warning / Caution sign if I ever seen one....

Well I'll just be looking at them from now on.... Thanks for the tips peoples.....

Reply to
CJC

Conventional smoke bombs work. So do the rodent gasser cartridges. The ones I tested are between 18mm and 24mm diameter, burn for about 2 minutes, and produce ZERO flame out the nozzle. The smoke is lost during thrust, but pretty clear during delay and recovery.

Bob Kaplow

Do you buy or make smoke bombs???

I make my smokers out of ping pong balls and electrical tape.... Chop the ping pong balls up into strips....wrap completely with the tape and light one end.. Produces major amounts of white smoke but it's not the healthiest of smells......rather nasty..

Please....any youngins don't do this......I was being naughty...

Reply to
CJC

G. Harry Stine would be turning over in his grave

Reply to
Dodo

Buy. Haven't bought smoke bombs for many years, but the rodent gasser thingies are available at home and hardware stores year round, and are pretty cheap. I can't recall exactly, but I think it's a buck something for a 4-pack.

Bob Kaplow