Brass cubes

Does anyone here know where I might be able to buy a 3" solid brass cube, or if any of you are capable of making one [and if so, at what cost]. Thanks for any info you can give me!

Reply to
Xane "MegaWolf" T.

Before asking for a quote, you should specify dimensional accuracy, surface finish, and edge finish.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yup, in stock at my local high-priced small-quantity metal supplier in

360 ASTM B16. 33lbs/foot, so a 3" cube should weigh around 8 lbs. As another Jim said, the finish (edge and surface) and accuracy requirements would greatly affect the remaining work.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I'm not entirely sure what I'd need. It's not for any kind of precision work. Accuracy, doesn't have to be perfect, just enough so that it's not visibly rectangular to the naked eye...maybe within .05" tolerence? Surface would be about 800-1000 grit, I can polish it out the rest of the way without losing too much surface after that. Edges...don't have to be sharp, for what I'd use it for.

Reply to
Xane "MegaWolf" T.

Where do you live???

Reply to
ACA

South Florida, north of Palm Beach County. The reason I'm asking here is because I don't have the tools to cut 3" stock, nor any idea where to buy it. I'll be etching the sides, so the corners don't have to be perfect, but it does have to be reasonably close to a perfect cube [i.e. not noticeable as off by a casual observer]. I think such a cube would be pretty expensive to ship, though...

Reply to
Xane "MegaWolf" T.

Oh OK, Im in Toronto sooo it would be a heck of a commute for you, and yes shipping would definatly be cost prohibitive....

Up here we have these stores called 'The Metal Supermarket' which are walk in one off type places where you can get stock over the counter and they will cut it for you (Usually for a fee). You pay through the nose for the material, but sometimes its your only option.

Cheers! Ben

Reply to
ACA

Another pair of questions, does it need to be solid and how many?

Jim Vrzal Holiday,FL.

Xane MegaWolf T. wrote:

Reply to
mawdeeb

Then you can't do it. End of story.

Unless you have a tool capable of cutting metal, you can't fabricate what you want in any quantity. Short of rubbing the material on a rock to part it off, it just won't happen.

One step up from that would be a hacksaw. You would have popeye-sized arm muskles by the time you cut ten of these off.

Option one: purchase a bandsaw. Option two: hire a person with a bandsaw to saw them off.

Further finishing beyond that point (milling, fly cutting) is optional. But the first bit is mandatory.

Jim

jim rozen