brass instrument building (reposted)

Hi, Because my original note vanished a day after I posted it (at least on my computer) I am reposting this link of shameless self promotion of me building a horn in my shop.

LLB

Reply to
LLBrown

No, It's still there for March 3.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

That's cool. Did you fill the tubes with pitch to make the bends without kinks? Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Pitch is a pain because of the hot climate where I live but I still use it because I don't want to spend the time to learn to use another material.

LLB

Reply to
LLBrown

Normally, when you read an article, your newsreader marks it as "already read" and will not present it to you again. This does not mean that it is not out there for others to encounter for the first time. Reposting it clutters up the newsgroup -- and this one is bad enough as it is with 300+ articles per day, and a lot off topic. My killfile is zapping between 50% and 66% of the articles each day, which is the only thing which makes it practical for me to read.

As for how long an article will stick around -- that depends on the news server. The one you use may keep articles for a month, some other news serves may keep them around for six months, and Google keeps them for ever (if not marked "X-Archive-No: " in the headers) but will shuttle those which are past a certain age to where you need to jump through hoops to access them to keep you from being flooded with way too many. And some news servers (on systems tight on memory) may expire articles within a day. But they are still out there in all of the other news servers around the world. It is not like a web site where everything is kept on a single machine.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Where would i find details of the pitch bending process? In the next few months I am going to build a header system for a Lotus race car similar to this,

of Titanuim or Stainless, and would like to eliminate as many welds as possible while keeping bends smooth.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Don, The server (I guess) took ALL posts from before March 1 and vanished them... read or unread. The other groups didn't act that way.

LLB

Reply to
LLBrown

Dear Stup, There are no articles that I know of. The pipe is filled with pitch, making sure there are no voids. Horn makers use to use lead but there are some advantages to pitch. Other materials include ice, sand, teflon, and the "low melt" stuff. Once bent the pitch is melted out with a torch. For horns the pitch is formulated to be worked with at 70 degrees I think, I go a little colder. I don't know if pitch would hold up to the forces needed to bend headers.

LLB

Reply to
LLBrown

I don't know if pitch would hold up to the forces

Thanks. I have done sand bending before but i am always looking for a better way. Is there a particlular type of pitch preferred or should I just tap one of the cedars or sugar pines in my yard? Do you close the tube ends before bending?

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Then that was likely a crashed drive on *that* one server. But the article made it out past that server and is in thousands of other servers around the world. If one of them feeds it back late enough, it will even reappear in your server.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Dear Stupe, I think this stuff is more street tar than tree sap. It can be had by the gallon ( I think) from Freree's band repair supply company on the web. The pitch is really hard in the pipe and not going anywhere so, no, we don't have to close the ends before bending.

Reply to
LLBrown