CONE FROM STAINLESS STEEL

What is the best way to make a cone from 18 gauge stainless steel? I need it to be 23" diameter one end, 16" diameter the other end, 18" long.
Can a template from cardboard or somethimg be made, how would I go about it? Will be tig welded at the seam.
Ted wrote:

To be pedantic, and it's 5:30 and I haven't had my pedantic ticket punched yet, what you really want is the frustum of a cone.
Try this...
http://downloads.cnet.co.uk/0,39100207,39188833s,00.htm

How accurate does it have to be, Tim? Is it a cone for appearance's sake, or some basic function, or does it have to precisely fit into or onto something else?
Laying it out can be done by drawing two half-circles on cardboard and transferring the shape. Or, if you have a beam compass that will stretch to 46", you can lay it out directly on the stainless. With good practice you probably can get your shape accurate enough for most uses that way. And, for one-time use, you can make a temporary beam compass out of a piece of wood lath and a couple of nails.
The tough part with stainless is, first, cutting it so it doesn't warp; and then bending it so it makes a smooth shape. It will try hard to defeat you. d8-)
I have some tricks I use for jobs like that but others here probably have better solutions. Unless you want a lumpy mess, don't cut it with tin snips.
-- Ed Huntress

Free Download at this site
http://www.pulserate.com /
Don
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz / Download cone.zip (ConeCalc) and have at it. JR Dweller in the cellar
Ted wrote:

Thanks, That is exactly what I need.
JR North wrote:

Good ole Marve Strikes again. He has a million of em. ...lew...