Steel disk source

I need a source for 24 pcs. of 1/4" to 3/8" thick by 4-1/2" to 5-1/2" diameter steel disks. They will be end caps for 3-1/2" diameter tubes to make them into rollers. Any ideas? I was thinking barbell weights for midgets, but Google didn't show any...too politically incorrect?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Just have them plasma cut or even torched by an outfit close to you.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Wagner sells flat disks with no holes. Their part number for 1/4" thick 4.5" disk is D246. For 1/4" thick 5.5" disk, use part number D293.

Try

- it doesn't look like they have 3/8" disks in 4-1/2 or 5-1/2" sizes, though, only 4" or 5".

I like Wagner. They have lots of stuff I can use.

Grant Erwin

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Of course, you could simply buy a circle cutting attachment for your torch, these are going to be welded anyway.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

How about some round stock cut off in a bandsaw?

Reply to
syoung

Thanks Grant! For $3.21 I can't possibly make them! Cool supplier! (Did you like my smart-assed answer about ordering from us?) You don't have to stand on one foot...888-411-3265 toll-free Call anytime after noon, I have to watch Judge Judy before I go to work.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Or a foot of 5" dia bar and do them on the bandsaw. Might take half to one hour per cut for a little say but the job doesn't require a lot of attention.

Mark Rand (who's been making gear blanks from a 4" dia bar of 4340) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

========== Hey this is RCM -- You can *MAKE* a circle cutting attachment....

Looks like the hard item might be the strong magnet for the pivot.

for some store bought units

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

I often see disks such a this at the surplus metal suppliers. They are the drops from cutting holes in plates. They have a small start-up arc close to the edge, but that shouldn't bother you. Garelick in Mpls Mn almost always has them. Discount Steel, also in Mpls, had some tubs of them the last time I was there. I couldn't come up with any reason to buy any, so I only bought a few.

Pete Stanaitis

------------------

Tom Gardner wrote:

Reply to
spaco
+1 on rb wagner - we use their discs at work and they have great service and prices.

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat veriz>

Reply to
Carl Ijames

When does your case come up? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm addicted to the "Judge" shows! Nobody could DREAM-UP those cases!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I ordered the parts today, thanks again!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Or those losers?

I thought you might be on there to get a settlement from one of the burglars. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Tom I see you are capping your rollers with discs the same diameter as the tube. This would require grinding the weld down to match the OD. I have been cutting the discs I need when making rollers or wheels to be a slight press fit on the tube ID. I priced out 5" dia discs and came pretty close to the catalog price. Your local CNC plasma or laser cutting shop should be able to do them for the same price. Steve

Reply to
Up North

No, reread the specs. The caps are 4.5" on a 3.5" tube. The flange will keep the wooden spools from walking off the end of the roller as it unspools wire. We're going to just weld the caps on and drill a 3/4" hole in the caps and weld the caps to a 3/4" through shaft.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Do you have a website?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ah yes, I see it now .....written quite plainly. Sorry about that!

Reply to
Up North