? Stainless steel tube

Just thought it may be worth an ask on here?

I am trying to find some 19mm (3/4") OD stainless tube with an internal diameter hole of 1/2" or 13mm ish.

Done the usual search of Ebay, and local stockholders on the web and not managed to find any thick wall tube that would fit the bill.

I guess one option would be to get a hold of solid bar and drill through, but what a waste!

I need to get 22 lengths of 44 mm, it is for suspension bushes on a kit car (Crush tubes). For the interim I could always go for normal 19 mm (3/4") round mild steel bar and drill that, certainly cheaper, then solid bar from the likes of RS.

Any simple ideas I have missed one can suggest

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

campingstoveman

I doubt that you get a tube with such a thick wall in stainless. So I would buy some free machining stainless (1.4305) and turn/bore it to the *exact* diameters I want. That stuff is nice to work with.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Well, I don't know what your problem is, 3/4 x .120" wall 304 SS, Carbon Steel or 4130, is readily available. Last time I looked 3/4" OD tube was available in 12 wall thicknesses.

In cases like this the Web is not your friend, you need a phone book or go out in the world and talk to people who have a need for material like this in everyday life. Get alongside a local engineering company, open a phonebook...

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Hi Martin In the Blackburn area. Local places tried are Stainless metric stock and K steels.

Hi Tom

What I would like to get would be 10's gauge to give the 3.2 wall thickness, That would give me the internal dia around 12.6 mm, I could run a reamer through that to be a good fit on what ever bolt size I use.

K Steels Stop in the MS tube at 19 mm at 14 gauge. Does not list what the steam pipe is, and yes I would love to be on the phone to these companies during the day and going out to visit them, but unfortunately work gets in the way leaving weekends and evenings free to do this, hence why I look on the Internet and troll newsgroups for help when I can.

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Some months ago I tried all over the country for some odd sized SS tube and eventually found it at...

Perchcourt Unit 6B, Heath Street Industrial Estate Heath Street Smethwick W. Midlands B66 2QZ Tel: 0121555 6161

Website

lemel_man

The 12 different sizes I have for 3/4" tubing don't include 10g wall thickness. BTW bolt diameters are rarely true to nominal size.

Perhaps Nick can come up with some 20 x 4 mm tubing?

Work, some say, is the curse of the drinking class. Then again some say what time not spent fishing is wasted. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I think (in stainless), but I would have to buy about 4m of it. They don't cut to size. Material would be 1.4301 in annealed state. Maybe they have different material, I'd have to phone them. They are located in Hamburg, have no Web-site, just a phone.

But I have some 10 x 0.5 in stainless if that helps. :-) I needed that for bending exhaust tubes for a model. Was really nice to bend.

If seamless precision drawn tube is OK (non-stainless), I could get 20 x 2. No source for thickwalled precision tube, that shop close some years ago. :-(

I still would bore that out of the solid. I even think that it will be cheaper than a tube.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I've got just over 6 ft of some stainless like material which measures

0.746" OD x 0.538 bore..

Apart from being non-magnetic and non-rusting (it's been standing outside for several years) I can't tell you what it is and can't remember where I got it. There's a small chance that it's Hastalloy which I believe is an extremely expensive form of Unobtanium and an absolute bugger to machine - perhaps someone knows how to identify it.

Contact me if interested.

Bob

Reply to
BobKellock

I've just spotted that Mallard Metals

do SS tube including 20mm OD x 3mm wall thickness at =A319.20 per foot.

Bob

Reply to
BobKellock

Thanks to you all for the feedback, just got to the PC and looking through the responses making note of the links and will try to search them when I can.

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

3/4 by 1/8 wall stainless tube is available, but may be hard to get. Aalco will supply it, but will charge ... I don't think 3/4 x 10G is a common size though.

Mallard metals (online) do a 20 mm x 3mm stainless tube, but it ain't cheap.

If you can't find a suitable tube I'd think you'd probably be okay buying bar and drilling it. Good bit of work involved, but it isn't actually as wasteful as it might seem - you keep more than half (55.56%) of the metal when you drill a 1/2" hole in 3/4" bar.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I can identify it, but I'd need a small sample. No charge. Address is:

Peter Fairbrother

10 Sheepcote Barton Trowbridge Wilts BA14 7SY

I'd also be interested in buying it, if Adrian isn't.

Peter Fairbrother.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

No problem Peter please go ahead, I will try and find a local source

Reply to
Adrian

For the thick wall tubes, you will be best looking for seamless tube rather than welded tube. The best and certainly the most competitive stockholder of seamless tubes in the UK is SPI (Materials) Ltd in Tamworth. www. spimaterials.co.uk Tel. 01827 305351. They deliver throughout the UK and Europe.

url:

Michael Holt