ID Lathe Please

Hi lads ...can anyone ID this lathe ... pics say it all ... think a may have had a set of cone pulleys and a countershaft in the past ..

there isn't anything written on it anywhere ...but the legend for the change gears ...

no change gears with it ...

and leadscrew was driven at one time also ...

there is a small repair to the t-slot ... but lathe seams good and not overly worn.

the motor is massive but only 3.7 kilowatt

All the best..mark

Reply to
mark

If that's a 3.7 kilowatt motor they must have made them awfully compact back then

Reply to
Peter Neill

Not my area really but I would have guessed at one of the Relm family (Relmac?) I think one model that a friend had years ago came in at about 4 1/4" centre height. I haven't had a good look but have a look here

Not sure from the photo's but I'm sure you will tell straight away.

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

yes bar the different handles ...looks like the RelMac .

thankyou keith.

solved .

anyone got a junker to take parts off ?

YES its 0.37 kw

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

Yes, a Relmac I would say, originally made by Realm Machine Co of Brixton. See this advert from the 1913 Model Engineering Exhibition catalogue :

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com/image/Realm.jpg (if the newsgroup mangles the link, then send me an e-mail and I'll send you the advert)

They made these after the war too at least as far as 1924. The company changed their name to "Cheltenham Works Ltd" - but still at the same address in Brixton. Also there was the Super Relm (4.5" CH optionally with the RelMill vertical milling attachment - this has the leadscrew on the front of the lathe), the RelMinor (3" CH), and the RelmBee (2" CH) - but the RelMac seems to be the biggest seller - and you still see the odd Relmac on eBay. I think they were actually a very solid little lathe - you will have to work out for yourself just how much =A35 was in 1913 (=A311 in 1922) - but the SuperRelm was =A328 in 1922 - which I suspect was a lot of money !

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

thank you Steve good info ...

had it going on its current set up ...

slowest speed seems like about 300 rpm ...and fastest ...i don't know but its fast ...will measure tommorow.....motor must have a clutch inside as its slipping in fast

so may make a new set of cone pulleys and mount them where they are meant to go ...plus make a counter shaft ...and ...maybe another little variable speed motor driving the lead screw that can be disengaged ... forget the screw cutting ....too much work just to locate or make the parts.

bought it save my self some power ...over my all three phase set up....when working on smaller parts.

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark