What is it? CCXXII

As was suggested, I updated my header with a link to a few of my better posts, I've got a couple more comments on this but I'm short on time this morning so I'll have to get to it later.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
1240 looks like an old microfiche reader. I hated them.
Reply to
joelblatt

"DanG" wrote

That is probably because at that time almost everybody carried a knife of some type. The knives were the ultimate utility tool for countless generations, until they became politically incorrect. Or many other tools/modern conveniences rendered their general utility obsolete.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Seems unlikely. Why would someone cut a V-shaped groove instead of just cutting the metal? Way more force would be required. How would you locate the exact center of the lid so that tool would function? You'd need another tool to find the center.

Generally speaking, if there's an oddball tool that kinda sorta looks like a woodworking tool, it's probably a leather working tool. I bet if RH posted these quizzes on a leather working newsgroup, all of the woodworking tools would be guessed at as being some sort of leather tools!

RicodJour

Several sites agree that the early cans were of such heavy metal that they had to be chiseled open or pounded with a hammer.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Howdy,

Your comment reminds me of an experience I had a long time ago:

I have been a serious guitar player for more than fifty years...

When I was about 18, I had the occasion to visit with a prominent surgeon who lived in Ohio.

I had with me a very fine guitar that was made in 1927, and after dinner my host asked if I might play a tune for him.

As I took the guitar from its case, he looked at it for a moment, and said "That looks like it might be something rather special. Is it?"

I told him a bit about the instrument, and he gently asked "Might you tell me what a guitar of that sort is worth?"

When I told him its value he frowned. Then, he said "Perhaps I should not tell you this, but I am a much older and more experienced man, and I believe that you have grossly misplaced values..."

After a dramatic pause, he then added "Don't you realize that for that amount of money, you could have bought a Browning shotgun?"

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth
1241 - Swiss army fork.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

I have been on several farms, but I was smart enough to stay off the barn.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Can opener?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I still have - and use - my P-38 - from my last case of C-Rats in RVN. It still works great!

Reply to
cavelamb himself

"DonkeyHody" wrote

That is the new fangled version. The ones that we used were made of metal and had a point on one end. You jammed it through the wall between the nostrils and slipped a pin in it. It became a metal ring through the nose with some teeth on it. So you had a ring through the nose which would come in handylater in life if you needed to move the cow. a rope through the ring made any livestock totally obedient.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

The hole in mine finally wore to the point it broke and fell off my key ring. OTOH, a gernade ring was probably too big for it, anyway.

You're right about the P38, though. It, and the classic Swingaway manual can opener are the two best I've ever used. Mine was from cold weather survival training in Alaska, in the '70s. Once you got the can open, you had to thaw it out before you could eat whatever was inside. Except the crackers. A slight breeze, and they turned to dust and blew away. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

during my time as an army mapping surveyor I remember just 4 pieces of kit that worked perfectly. the P38 can opener was the premier one. then there was the prismatic compass. the 1917 issue heliograph. the Wild T2-56 theodolite. and the dress belt buckle.

the most useless was the army pocket knife but to be honest it was totally reliably blunt :-) ...even after an hour of sharpening :-) :-)

that little can opener though. even the wife loved them. Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

RCM only

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 23:30:12 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Lee Michaels" quickly quoth:

That's inhumane to mama cow, sir! How would your girlfriend like one in your nose? You'd never kiss, lick, suck, or slurp again. =:-0

That's less inhumane.

-- The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man. -- Euripides

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Which knife are you talking about? The army issue Camillus knife I had would shave the threads off a 1/4" bolt. A guy who worked in the parachute repair shop at Ft.Rucker used the same knife to cut away damaged nylon rigging, all day long. He said a knife lasted a little over a year, with all the abuse he gave it.

The same knife was sold as an 'Electricians knife' by Xcelite, Klien and several other companies. I bought my first one for $1.25 when I was

12, on a field trip while in Junior High school. the last one I found was over $20. I had over a dozen of them stolen from me, over the years. Now, Camillus is out of business.

has a picture of one.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

no that little camilus is a decent knife. btw my favourite these days is the swiss army tinker.

the australian army had some abortion of a thing. all soft stainless steel. two blades, no screwdrivers and a useless fid on the back face. utter rubbish.

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

Some of us rode the military shuttle to Fairbanks one day and went to the one decent sized department store in town to look at knives. The salesman asked what we already had. One of the guys pulls out his shiny new Buck knife, and I pulled out my Camilus electrician's knife. He smiled and said, Nice knife. He reached into the showcase and pulled out a similar knife, and a 12" long, 1/4" packing bolt from some furniture shipment and proceeded to shave long thin strands of steel, then asked the guy if he wanted ot try it with his buck knife. He refused, and hurried out of the store. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell