Brazing on carbide

Ok I finished my stump grinder an have used an old HSS milling cutter from my horizontal mill. I am going to make a cutter that uses carbide, can I braze carbide inserts with brass brazing rod?? I looks to me that's how its done, I would prefer not to use silver solder as the cost is high.

Reply to
waynemak

Hey Wayne,

Pound for pound you are quite correct. But there is not much "weight" comparison between brazing and silver soldering (silver brazing). The silver solder applied to hold carbide cutters is in a VERY thin leaf cut to size, right in place, and the carbide held in place, so that there is no waste at all, unlike burning up a brazing rod.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Ok I finished my stump grinder an have used an old HSS milling cutter from

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Reply to
David Billington

Can you use cheap carbide toothed skillsaw blades? I modified my Ryobi weedwhacker to use these blades which are available for $7.00 each locally. They will take a surprising amount of abuse before the theeth are too dull to cut alders anymore. Maybe these blades stacked would work. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Brazing bits of tungsten carbide onto steel shanks can be done with a propane/air torch and 45 pct silver brazing rod and fluoride flux:

?ItemId=1611760405 Wets carbide very easily, partly due to the toxic cadmium content. I have done huge custom tools (3/4-inch shank and 3-inch diameter) with a Reil propane-air burner.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Take a good read of this page : the company has good pictures and information.

I have the hard copy of the book - but color pictures are nice.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

My conclusion is that if you're brazing carbide yourself, you can use the silver-cadmium alloys, and get the best performance and the lowest melting point. Just use good ventilation.

I expect the Chinese toolmakers aren't so fussy about using cadmium brazes.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch