broaching stainless steel bar

I need to cut a square hole through a stainless bolt, using it as a lathe tool
holder.I have drilled bolt no problem with Cobalt drills. Is it now down to a
lot of work with taper files or can I BROACH IT?
Reply to
MATHSMAN
"MATHSMAN" wrote in message news:25a79$553d560a$43de0cc0$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com...

Can you drill an oversized hole and clamp the bit between two nuts?
-jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Stainless is a bit more difficult to machine than regular steel. It generally needs more clearanaces, slower speeds and heavier cuts. My guess is with a broach made for steel, you are likely to break the broach using it on stainless.
You could kludge up an electric discharge machine. Another guy and I did that a long time ago.
Just did a search on EDM DIY and found a number of sites with info.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster

Site Timeline