Brooms

Ok so I am officially going crazy. I live at the end of a very long cul de sac and whenever sombody washes their car or waters the grass (san Diego) all the water puddles up in front of my driveway. Well my neighbor lady about 75 she is like to sweep the water into this huge drain that runs essentially right under my house. Sinkhole waiting to happen, luckily its been dry this year. So she has this little broom she likes to push the runoff over this highspot and get it out of the way. maybe five gallons so the mosqitos don't take hold. Te handle is broken and since I am kinda like the local handyman I chuck the handle up in my trusty 6 inch Atlas and turn it down so it just fits in the cleared out hole in the body of the broom. Steady rest and 3 jaw chuck. Rubbed the whole thing down with Linseed oil and she was very pleased. I know my neighbors think I am clearly demented but I am quiet and do things like this with no particular request for reciprocity. I may ask for a cup of sugar or some catfood if he seems famished Does this go on in your area? I am determined to leave some form of legacy. It may not be noble or even noteworthy but someone will remember that I fixed a broom or passed on some long lost letters found in the attic of a burned out house Rant mode off. dan

Reply to
daniel peterman

I am determined to leave some form of legacy. It may not be noble or even noteworthy but someone will remember that I fixed a broom or passed on some long lost letters found in the attic of a burned out house Rant mode off. dan

Till the Next Time

Chuckle!

Well, if I know some of the members of this group well enough, and I think I do, you'll have left a legacy already, posting in HTML. I'm sure they'll be thrilled.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Sorry I forgot to drop the sig.

Reply to
daniel peterman

Just realize that those random acts of kindness and irrational bouts of helpfulness are the only legacy that some of us will leave. Merry Christmas & Happy Hanukah to all. May the new year bring peace to all. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Bugs, I would say, not just the only legacy, but about the best.

These things do happen, in many places. In spite of the fear & despair in the news, there are still a lot of nice people in the world.

I could share a story here:

I was working away, fettling a motorbike one day, when a local kid comes in & asks would I mind doing a bit of welding for him? Turns out, he's building a go-cart affair, bits of wood, scavenged wheels, etc.

Found himself a pivot, made from an old shopping trolley (shopping cart), with the bit that holds the wheel hammered out flat. So I weld the couple of bits of metal on for him (after grinding the galvanise off, of course). Give the lad the run of my bolt box to find some fixings, and away he goes.

day or so later, kid comes back. Could I re-weld the pivot? "How comes?" I ask, a bit worried. "It broke & we crashed!"

Yeek! I was mortified! My weld had broken & this young soul had crashed his cart he'd built himself!

"What happened??"

"well," say the lad, "there was six of us on the cart, and when we hit this metal post for the 3rd time, the front end [of the cart] broke off"

I laughed, wagged me finger at him and said that the weld wasn't meant to take that kind of load & I wasn't at all sorry.

So I found a bigger bit of metal & applied a bit more weld.

Reply to
zedling

I for one love to do things for people, makes ME feel good. In our old place I ran a handyman shop on my off time, I had a good bit of business to contend with. I would also have people stop by asking to fix little things that may have taken a few min. When they ask how much, I wave them off. There are some things that I don't charge for, that SHOULDN"T be charged for. WE have been quite nomadic for the past 6 years but have finally bought a house (we now have a child, though it best to settle). I can't wait to "get to know" the people round here and hope they can come to me for help. On big jobs I like to be paid, that's why I do what I do. But as for many jobs I wouldn't take a dime for. I would wnat my son to see that not everything is based on money, but kindness.

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

Can't think of a better way to set an example. Every time I do something of the sort it reminds me of the folks who did the same when I was kid. So don't think your acts go un-noticed.

Reply to
bamboo

heard about this on a radio program...

was truly an amazing story on the radio show.

b.w.

(oops, i guess i misunderstood, was just looking at their website, i was under the impression their purpose was repairing old discarded bikes and giving them to kids, seems they collect money and buy brand new bikes.)

-snip-

Reply to
William Wixon

Remember, though. No act of kindness goes unpunished.

STeve

Reply to
Steve B

"daniel peterman" I am determined to leave some form of legacy. It may not be noble or even noteworthy but someone will remember that I fixed a broom or passed on some long lost letters found in the attic of a burned out house Rant mode off. dan

I am sure that when we reach the final accountant, those things are written in the deposits column. And if they ask you, "hey, what are some of the good things you did?", you can rattle off some of your kind acts.

Don't know if it works that way, but doing kind things for people who need them make me feel better. I hope that's not selfish.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I too am inclined to do things for folks when I can. I especially remember one day quite a few years back when a young fellow appeared in the shop at Ellis Tech one day with a bent shaft in hand and a panic stricken look on his face. He was a student I had know at the school I had previously been working at and we had a bit of a friendship even though he had chosen the plumbing shop instead of machine shop.

Seems he had been backing a fire truck into its bay and the snorkel wasn't fully stowed. Oops.

He was desperate to get the thing fixed before the Chief found out about it. As luck would have it I had a piece of suitable S.S. stock on hand and was able to duplicate the bent piece (without the bend of course) and he went on his way.

It is a nice feeling to put our skills to use helping out someone in a jam!

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

This is a text news group - please set to text not HYPER - Many people are using systems without graphics and this messes them up badly. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Steve B wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Sorry. Did a computer rebuild, and didn't set Options to text only.

Forgive me.

Please?

I won't do it again.

I didn't even mean to this time.