building model engine radiator

I called Harris and got the name of several local distributors. I called one and ordered 1 lb of stay bright 3/64 wire for $44. As a comparison my #106 MMC catalog listed a similar product for about the same price. I also ordered 1 oz of safetly silv 56 silver solder for $19. MUCH cheaper than MMC.

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

For future reference: Brownell's sells a 56% silversolder in .030 dia and .005 sheet. Jeweller's supply places will have stuff like that too. They're handy for making small preforms when appearance is important. It's stronger than Staybrite, but requires considerably higher temp and the color match with stainless isn't as good because it has some copper in it.

Reply to
Don Foreman

That does sould handy, especially for oven heating.

I stole the harris stay bright solder out of my PM reseach kit and tryed some test joints. It seems to work well and with a little practice I think it will work for my project. Thanks

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Be advised the 56% stuff can't be heated in an ordinary kitchen oven.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Your oven doesn't go to 1200 deg F? :)

I know, but someday I really need to learn how to silver solder so I guess I just got to keep on trying. I thought this was some of the easier (and more general purpose) SS, so I figured I should get an oz. to try out.

tanks chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

You will need different flux for the high-temp material. I like the black stuff.

Scroll down to Stay-Silv.

Ask for the the black stuff because most beginners initially overheat the work and kill the flux. It also seems to work well on stainless.

Reply to
Don Foreman

A year or so ago, I ordered some silver solder from MMC and black flux because it was recommended in this group. Frankly I tried the black flux and I don't it much so this time I ordered white flux. The while flux was recommend by the welding company selling the harris silver solder too.

I suspect I got some learning to do!

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

It'll work fine if you watch your heat, which is a good idea anyway.

Don't we all! That's what makes it fun.

Reply to
Don Foreman