Bullets falling back to earth

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:11:52 -0800, "SteveB" wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

OK, all you bottom posters. Justify the post I am replying to!

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

I was frightened by the idea of a conspiracy that was causing it all. But then I was terrified that maybe there was no plan, really. Is this unpleasant mess all a mistake?

Reply to
Old Nick

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:56:30 GMT, Ted Edwards wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

????? Maybe he met his matc....woman.

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

I was frightened by the idea of a conspiracy that was causing it all. But then I was terrified that maybe there was no plan, really. Is this unpleasant mess all a mistake?

Reply to
Old Nick

there is one interesting photo online (long load time):

it's not real obvious, but the wall around the corner from the open hatch has been stove in by a pressure wave from the 16" guns. i can hear it now, "WHO closed that vent?!. i DON'T CARE how loud it is, sailor!"

--Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

everything else?

as in capsize? maybe they could fire into the water at the same time? couldn't be any worse than the Iowa disaster. my brother served on an AKA with a 5" mount above the fantail. these mounts are simply bolted to the deck (like an afterthought), and were universally hated by the happless souls (mostly machinist mates) working in the shops below. this was the loudest noise he has any memory of, incredible, shattered lite bulbs, some items like oil cans actually flew off the bench. i imagine this predated general use of hearing protectors. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

Only if you assume there is no atmosphere.

Fitch

Reply to
Fitch R. Williams

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:11:52 -0800, "SteveB" wrote something

-snip-

If the id^H^Hpeople took the time to snip, the point would be moot.

I mean, how hard is it to glean the info and snip to the point? It takes, what, 5 seconds, max? Feh!

========================================================== Save the +

Endangered SKEETS! + Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I suggest you read Gunner's discourse. Course we could argue about how many angels can dance on the head of pin, but just to keep it in context we could argue about how damaged they would be if they fell off. Or, on a more practical subject, we could discuss the number of people killed by logs falling off logging trucks on the road and how you should hold your breath every time you meet or pass one of those trucks. Yeah, a falling bullet could kill you and people do die from logs falling off a logging truck on a highway, but how many die? Watch out for those 16 inchers from naval guns because even if they fall at only 1/2 fps, they'll still crush your head. Bet you worry about all those particles passing thru you at some large fraction of the speed of light. They can kill you too.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

You got that right.

Whatever "that" is.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

*You* justify your quoting the whole thing, too.
[ ... lots of lines snipped ... ]

Really -- top posting is worse than bottom posting in my mind -- because it makes it easier for people to totally forget about what is there (and still has to take up room on thousands of news servers around the world, and to be downloaded in its entirity to all who want to read that one line of new text.

I believe in neither top posting nor bottom posting, but rather interleaved posting (as in this example), with my replies to various parts immediately following those parts, and all excess text not needed to maintain context trimmed.

*Some* newsreaders and news servers will refuse to post an article with more quoted text than new text. I believe that is a good start, as it forces one to trim excess text -- or to really think about it and determine a workaround, if they really feel that all that quoted text is necessary. (Yes, workarounds exist, but a carefully thought-out and trimmed article should normally not need them.)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Why do you think the military doesn't drop buckets full of golf balls out of B-52's instead of having guys on the ground with M16s? A falling golf ball won't even go through a bed sheet let alone a steel covered wood roof.

Reply to
Kurt Lochner

"Kurt Lochner" wrote

I was once a green marshall at a PGA golf tournament at Le Triomphe, in southern Louisiana. It was a short par three, and all but three of the 88 golfers landed on the green with their tee shot. The balls would loft high, and come down on the green with backspin. It was beatiful.

I was sitting there, and one of the three that went off the green came down and hit me on top of the thigh. The golfer yelled FORE right before it hit me. This ball was probably at the most 100 feet high when it began its downward trajectory. I felt like I had been hit with a baseball bat. I had a purple and yellow target shaped bruise on the top of my thigh for weeks.

I have no doubt that if the ball had hit me in the top of the head, it would have done some serious damage. Maybe even gone through my skull.

As for your theory about a falling golf ball, why don't you go out and stand next to a ten story building and have a buddy drop some golf balls down on you. If you are so sure, you don't have a thing to worry about. After all, just how much harm can a falling golf ball do?

I also notice that a lot of the carts have fiberglass roofs instead of canvas. I wonder why that is ..............

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

True, The path is asymmetric due to air resistance. The key point I was trying to make is that the path isn't a straight line, so it is not lined up with the spin axis except at the muzzle.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Of course. The diffence in time of flight was pointed out by Hatcher with regards to the 175 gr. bullet.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush